Quantcast

IPad/ Foreflight

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

robertl

My wife gave me a new ipad 10.2 for my birthday last week, I use it for Foreflight. What I wanted was an ipad mini, the cockpit of a Cessna 150 is pretty tight and since I haven't gotten down to my target weight of 190 lbs, I need all the space I can get. She graciously offered to take the 10.2 ipad and get me the mini, (even though I didn't get her anything for her birthday). So, should I get one with Cellular or not, I've been using the Dual gps puck, and now, my buddy and co-owner has a Stratux in the plane. He says Cellular would be a good back up if the Stratux fails, well, I guess that's true, it's also an extra $130.00, about the cost of a new Dual gps puck but about half the cost of the Stratux. I'm a fair weather, fun flyer, although since we got the 150 back in Aug. I'm flying more and also making some actual cross country trips in preperation for flying from S.C. to A/V in 2021. So I just thought I would get some feed back from all you guys, and gals before I tell my wife to pull the trigger.
Thanks,
Bob

BJC

HBA Supporter
First: get your wife whatever she wants.

Second: Stratus has recommendations wrt minimum storage and cellular access. When I bought mine, cellular service was deemed unnecessary by Stratus. That was 8 or 9 years ago. If you have a smart phone, that is a better backup, because it is a totally separate device.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I’m not quite clear on the finer points, but I believe the ForeFlight website recommends cellular because it gives you a few more capabilities, but most of those extra capabilities don’t require cellular service, just the cellular capability. The only real need for cellular service is the ability to file flight plans where there is no Wi-Fi available.

Last edited:

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
FYI, I think the original poster concern was that the wi-fi only version of the iPad mini does not have internal GPS, only the cellular model does. I find it completely bizarre that this is the case, but I'm not an Apple guy.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I've been flying non cell iPads with FF for many years and have not run into a compelling reason to change to one with an internal GPS. I also have a stratus for GPS/AHRS/ ADS-b, as well as a Garmin Glo as an emergency backup. If I need to connect the iPad to the outside world beyond that, I just hotspot my phone.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I've been flying non cell iPads with FF for many years and have not run into a compelling reason to change to one with an internal GPS. I also have a stratus for GPS/AHRS/ ADS-b, as well as a Garmin Glo as an emergency backup. If I need to connect the iPad to the outside world beyond that, I just hotspot my phone.
Thatone
Ditto.

BJC

Wind&Water

I started out with an iPad mini (non cell) with the stratus. Neither was hardwired so I always had to manage two batteries. Switched to a mini with cell for the gps 4 years ago and have never had an issue. I use a knee pad holder and can take it to anywhere or any plane I need it. (CFI)
Plus it had the added benefit when I bought a boat and needed a chart plotter linked to a gps the $15 marine software app worked flawlessly and saved me at least $1000 over buying a new unit.

Chris

BJC

HBA Supporter
I started out with an iPad mini (non cell) with the stratus. Neither was hardwired so I always had to manage two batteries.
I use a plug-in charger with two USB ports to power / back up the iPad / Stratus. That adds two wires to the cockpit, but it makes 8 hour flying days trouble free.

I have a knee pad, but most of my long trips have been with two in the cockpit, and the passenger likes to play with / track our navigation with the iPad.

BJC

gtae07

FYI, I think the original poster concern was that the wi-fi only version of the iPad mini does not have internal GPS, only the cellular model does. I find it completely bizarre that this is the case, but I'm not an Apple guy.
As do I. But it seems like the cell version might be worth it if you don't have a Stratus or some other external GPS it can connect to. You don't have to actually get data service for it.

Would be nice if there were some more Android-based EFB apps; Avare works and the price is right but the interface is clunky.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My recent panel upgrade added a bunch of USB charging ports front and back so I can keep the batteries up on longer missions. The cords are a bit messy, but can be stowed without too much distraction.

N804RV

I use an iPad Air 2 in the Sonerai. It has cellular capability. But, I don't have it on a cell plan. It can provide GPS for Foreflight. But, because I have a Sentry ADS-B receiver, its not really necessary.

As far as room, I've also used the Air 2 in various Cessnas, no problem. I found I could mount the iPad Air 2 (which I believe is the same size as the 10.2) in landscape orientation over the yoke, using a RAM yoke mount, and a slightly longer (C size I think) double swing arm connector.

robertl

As do I. But it seems like the cell version might be worth it if you don't have a Stratus or some other external GPS it can connect to. You don't have to actually get data service for it.

Would be nice if there were some more Android-based EFB apps; Avare works and the price is right but the interface is clunky.
My co-owner in the 150 also instructs in a Cub and said if the Stratux goes out, the ipad W/Cellular would be a good back up. So my wife ordered the Ipad mini W/Cellular and is having the same engraving put on it. Yep, she gets a good foot massage!
Bob

pfarber

HBA Supporter
(even though I didn't get her anything for her birthday
Dude, seriously? lol how comfy was the dog house you were in?

I have an iPad 10 in and its honestly to big for a PA28. There is simply no where to put it other than your lap without covering half the panel.

IOdly, in a 172 the RAM suction mount on the side window was a perfect fit. No I always recommend going smaller on the iPad for EFBs, unless you know in advance how it will fit in your cockpit/mount.

robertl

Dude, seriously? lol how comfy was the dog house you were in?

I have an iPad 10 in and its honestly to big for a PA28. There is simply no where to put it other than your lap without covering half the panel.

IOdly, in a 172 the RAM suction mount on the side window was a perfect fit. No I always recommend going smaller on the iPad for EFBs, unless you know in advance how it will fit in your cockpit/mount.
Well we don't have a dog so I dodged that, lol ! Maybe I get some cred 'cause I'm 15 years older than she is and for the most part, she gets her way because I'm like, whatever you think babe, it's ok with me.
Bob