• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Interesting result, redux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm starting to do some early optimization on my design, particularly for climb rate, since my engine is relatively small for the weight of the aircraft.

My spreadsheet now includes a formula that calculates wing weight based on a number of parameters such as wing area, aspect ratio, takeoff weight, maximum speed, etc. I can change the aspect ratio, then use the 'goal seek' feature in Excel to iterate a takeoff weight and wing area that maintains my the wing loading to meet a specific goal, such as stall speed, takeoff distance, or climb rate. That provides new information for the page that calculates climb rate based on required and available thrust, and spits out a new curve showing climb rate at various speeds. Spreadsheets are cool. :D It'd take me days to do this by hand.

It's interesting watching the results in my low-power case, where increasing the aspect ratio is actually reducing the climb rate because of the extra weight of the longer, narrower wing.

I'm about to run a few cases and plot a curve for aspect ratio vs. climb rate to see what the optimum would be, if there is one. Then, since this is a flying wing, check that against my rough stability and control calcs to make sure it still works there.

I guess my point in posting this is how sometimes the results you get in the 'real design' are counter-intuitive. And that spreadsheets are cool. :D

Back