Interesting Electric Pipistrel

Discussion in 'Electric Propulsion' started by rv6ejguy, Jun 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 29, 2019 #21

GeneG

GeneG

GeneG

I know we are well off topic here, but what kind of range would you think is useful? I am unfamiliar with how these are used and assumed that they would be used a lot for patrolling the station.
    I did quick calculations against the Hornet using the specs agreed in the other thread to get time estimate without adding additional weight and achieving the same power using a Siemens sp55d motor.

2. Aug 29, 2019 #22

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

They are built for use by farmers and especially in areas that are hundreds of nm to a town. And that town might have 10 people. The properties are very big.
    In any part of the country range is everything for their needs.

Farm sizes can get far beyond most peoples imagination and all the worlds biggest are in Australia.

from Wikipedia. "Anna Creek Station has an area of 23,677 square kilometres (9,142 sq mi; 5,851,000 acres)[3] which is slightly larger than Israel.[4] It is 1,977,000 acres (8,000 km2; 3,089 sq mi) larger than its nearest rival, Alexandria Station in the country's Northern Territory. It is over seven times the size of the United States' biggest ranch, King Ranch in Texas, which is 825,000 acres (3,340 km2; 1,289 sq mi).[5]

Sure they are extreme examples, but distances in Australia for the bush are often immense. The range needed ideally is what it currently has on gas, and that is not going to happen for the weight. They often work them by flying between watering holes for cattle and check the water, then the next and so on, on big farms. Or they might be mustering cattle by spotting and pushing them along. They are not touring along, but hard at work. Or dropping supplies and a million other things.

The only energy source for its needs is petroleum gasoline. It is not a inconvenience to land low on fuel safely. Thats very easy in these machines. But now you are a long way from help and for a lot of the country, away from small areas along the east coast in general- alone. You are the only person for days of walking at best or maybe weeks. It is arid and water can be very hard to find. Unless you have radioed help and they know exactly where you are or have a emergency beacon, you will most likely die.

Range, reliability and communication are what keeps you alive. A pure electric version will have no real utility to a farmer unless it has a magic battery.

3. Aug 29, 2019 #23

GeneG

GeneG

GeneG

I knew that the stations are huge.
    Thanks for the info.