• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Initial CG for new BD-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysmiths

I'm trying to wrap my head around where to put my initial CG on my soon to be inspected BD-4. The battery will be aft of the cockpit due to engine weight (O-470 Continental) so the CG should be "adjustable" by battery placement.

A bonafide Navy test pilot named Ken Kopp years ago put his BD-4 through extensive flight tests and documented the results for the BD-4 website which has unfortunately gone away recently. I don't have his exact numbers but I do have in my notes from an earlier reading of his reports that the midpoint of his CG range was slightly past 25% MAC, about 13" past the wing LE. I know that this is an oft used place although I confess to not knowing all the technical details as to why although I THINK I understand it. However, being wrong has severe consequences, thus my questions here.

I understand the trade offs between fwd CG and aft CG locations; for those on this forum who have a better technical understanding than I do, is the above mentioned CG location a safe starting point for initial flight testing of a new airplane, assuming it is rigged correctly and built with proper stabilator up/down deflection? My wife (and insurance man) want to know!

Back