how to convert a wooden fuselage into a a aluminium tubing one?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by erkki67, Apr 24, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 24, 2019 #1

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Ive a two seat design in my mind that Id like to convert from a wooden box design into a Aluminium tubing frame, including its tail volume!

I've the plans of another bird that was built with Aluminium tubing, the German Kiebitz, but for me it has one wing too much, it's a biplane, and I'd like to have a Parasol, tandem seating.

Erkki

2. Apr 24, 2019 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

The fuselage is going to be generally the same as the biplane assuming they did it right. Making wing stay on is half different. You have to figure out how strong all the struts need to be to hold the wing on. No magic in that. You figure out how strong each joint needs to be and make parts that strong. Putting the wing where the CG works out and making it stay on. All you have left is building it. There is no rule of thumb. You either copy what you like and hope your eye is good or run the numbers.

3. Apr 24, 2019 #3

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Aluminum tube frames are real simple to throw together. My first reaction is that if it's a one off, do some basic numbers, reference what's been done with that type of construction, draw up a template, then build a barebones example frame and load test it; real easy way to see if it works or needs help. Then, assuming you're on target, go back and build a nice version with all the bells and/or whistles needed for an actual flight article.

If it's more than a one-off, well, do the same thing but maybe spend a few extra cycles thinking about each step.

As for reference material I think you could look at some Airdrome Aeroplanes models for inspiration, see if some build logs online don't yield the results needed.

wsimpso1 and pictsidhe like this.