• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do Manufacturers Prep Aluminum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny C

I just spent 3 days on my knees Scotch-Brite scrubbing aluminum parts with Deoxidine (a mixture of phosphoric acid & solvent for removing oxide and oil residue). It's wasn't fun.

Formed parts like ribs and L angles aren't easy - it takes time and it's sometimes difficult to get in all the internal angles. After this process, I prime with Stewart Systems EkoPoxy (great stuff but not self-etching).

I've got loads more to do and was wondering how manufacturers prepare their aluminum. They can't be doing it manually but I am wondering how they ensure paint adhesion without scrubbing.

I found a video of Piper doing prep and their process is to wash the parts in soapy water twice and then rinse. Next, the parts are dunked in an acid bath to prep the surface for a coat of 2-part primer.

Are they able to avoid abrasive scrubbing because their acid is much more concentrated than the stuff homebuilders use? Are they using a self-etching primer that will stick to a fairly smooth aluminum surface? Does using hot, concentrated acid mean that the surface is etched well enough for a non-etching primer?

Does anybody know the process that other manufacturers use? Is there a way, at least for the smaller parts, that a homebuilder could clean with an aviation detergent, then submerge them in an acid bath and avoid days of Scotch-Brite abrading?

Back