Home Depot Plane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
The use of PVC pipe and Home Depo blue foam sheets has already been covered on another thread.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The use of PVC pipe and Home Depo blue foam sheets has already been covered on another thread.

Has not yet been used in an airplane.

BJC

Hephaestus

Ok but let's make the distinction :)

Dow blue/pink/XPS foam isn't bad choice in itself...

Lots of aircraft use XPS - used smart (like skypup, rutan) and that's not a problem.

The pvc is another issue 😂

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA

The pvc is another issue 😂
You wouldn't be the first to think "me crazy" but if you like I will share a little secret that has been mentioned before. I have about 40 hours in a very nice home built that has an unconventional control system that incorporates PVC pipe to good use. In fact it is, without doubt, my favorite aircraft of that class and the controls work much better than factory built commercial designs I have flown.

The builder is very talented but not an engineer. He does nice work and has a cleaver unique design that I would be proud to own.

Every material has it strengths and weaknesses. The problem is to use the material that is best suited for the job in a way that helps to achieve the desired goal.

You all do remember Molt Taylor. Why did he build his paper airplane? If he was just a high school kid with no experience you all would have trashed the idea. It is not the paper's fault if it doesn't work. It is up to the guy with the glue to figure out what he can use it for and how to best do it. Same with PVC.

What would Cayley or the Wright Brothers have done with a smattering of PVC pipe and some plastic foam in addition to the materials of the day?

Last edited:

Protech Racing

My screenroom spars are going to be 37# per 24 ft. Heavy and will force me to pay attention to the rest of the wing.

Taylor.S

I re watched the video. Did he say he used 1/8 in ply for the front D tube type section of the wing? I had some trouble understanding him.