Home Depot Plane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

I’m not going to build one but maybe one of you would be interested:

Maybe a couple folks can build one with Home Depot parts, one with Lowe’s parts, and go around the country dogfighting at airshows...

Daleandee

Kinda looks like a wood version of a Kolb with a Mini-Max tail...

... and it's a twin!

I would have liked to see it fly!

Taylor.S

I have been thinking about the engine setup he has its very interesting, I kind of really like it.

Wanttaja

I liked this in the comments section:

"So it was built entirely from items purchased from Home Depot except for the stuff you couldn't get at Home Depot -- so in that regard it's amazingly similar to an F-35. "

Ron Wanttaja

Taylor.S

I guess in theory you could use fabric line drop cloth for the wing covering, you could get it at home depot but it would be heavy and very unsafe.

pwood66889

Myself, I kinda like the idea.
As I have said before: "The shipping companies are the only ones that consistently make money from home built airplanes."
Resolved a parts issue recently. A case of JIT (Just In Time) becoming JIT (Just Isn't There). Solved it via a local supplier. Never Underestimate the power of AIT (Available (n Town).

Taylor.S

Using materials that you select your self, as in filtering through a whole pile of wood just to find some pieces that fit the aircraft grade standard, would be vastly cheaper essentially its all aircraft spruce does with its wood.

Aviacs

Using materials that you select your self, as in filtering through a whole pile of wood just to find some pieces that fit the aircraft grade standard, would be vastly cheaper essentially its all aircraft spruce does with its wood.

Usedta be easy at Lowes.
But i haven't seen any actual doug fir in the piles for a few years.
The current soft white material (whatever it is) they mostly stock these days seldom has vertical grain, straight grain, essentially knot free boards at all anymore. Once was possible to sort out a few pieces in any bundle 2 x 12 - 16 ft that were center cuts in the tree (vertical grain). If the board was ripped down the center, there were often 6" wide, (for board with offset heart) to 4" wide pieces each side that might be clear for anywhere from 8' long to the full 16'.
Never happens anymore.
Agreed, though - worth a look.
For rib stock and small pieces there might be some success.

smt

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I’m standing in aisle 5 waiting for one of the associates to help me find something.
When he/she gets there, they will probably know where your requested item is. And that will be it. Don't ask them if it will work well, if there are better options, what tools might be needed to install it, etc. The folks who know those things are no longer employed there, in my experience.

Ron Swanson in Lowe's

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
When I lived in Raleigh, NC, not far up the road from Lowe’s corporate office, service in Home Depot was excellent, and Lowe’s was abysmal.

Retired to here in Florida, and Home Depot was good for a few years, while Lowe’s was terrible. Now neither is any good.

Shopping mostly at Ace now.

BJC

TFF

He always called it a Home Depot airplane. His airport did not have fuel so he would stop at mine to fill up on trips. Before he prettied it up, you could see more of the construction. I could never crawl around enough to really dissect it.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
It appears that there are issues with depending on local stores to supply aircraft grade parts. We can all agree with that, right?

There is also a problem with shipping long parts for wing spars, etc. I will ask the readers what is the desired max shipping length? I would guess 6 feet but less is better. Three feet?

I would like to design a kit that is made of short parts of aircraft grade material where necessary and uses hardware material where that is good enough and easily replaceable and inspectable.

TFF

The hardware wood where the “Woodpecker “ was made is horrendous. That’s why I tried to look. You can’t see it in the cabin now because it’s covered, but the spar carry through ply was not aircraft ply. I don’t know if it was marine ply. Being proud, Brian would show you the doodads, but shifted away from the regular stuff. Well made but more interesting before he recovered it. Stuff like the covering was glued to the foam ribs, but had pull loose on some ribs, so he drove screws into the rib caps. No pretense. Not trying to hide it. You could see more of the internals. I would like to look at the spars and longerons and see what they really are. I don’t know if it’s been broken up of if family has it still since he passed of a really rare cancer.

Hephaestus

It appears that there are issues with depending on local stores to supply aircraft grade parts. We can all agree with that, right?

There is also a problem with shipping long parts for wing spars, etc. I will ask the readers what is the desired max shipping length? I would guess 6 feet but less is better. Three feet?

I would like to design a kit that is made of short parts of aircraft grade material where necessary and uses hardware material where that is good enough and easily replaceable and inspectable.
Largest jump in shipping costs (and also much slower eta) seems to happen when a dimension exceeds 1m (3ft2in+change). At least that's what I notice around here.

This is why XPS/composite makes the most sense for a 'lower' cost build in my head. Although boku's recent carbon tubes purchase makes me want to look at grabbing that Marske book.

Daleandee

Here's another "Home Depot" airplane. Putting this airplane next to Jack Harper's Home Depot airplane for comparison is like putting a Cirrus and the Raptor in a side by side comparison:

I scanned through the video and heard him say "lightweight" as I looked at what appeared to be a 2X4 rear spar ... :fear:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Largest jump in shipping costs (and also much slower eta) seems to happen when a dimension exceeds 1m (3ft2in+change). At least that's what I notice around here.

This is why XPS/composite makes the most sense for a 'lower' cost build in my head. Although boku's recent carbon tubes purchase makes me want to look at grabbing that Marske book.
Thanks! I can work with that for much of the structure. Some would be twice that.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
Perhaps this should be turned into a thread where people outline what use of non-traditional materials they have made or encountered on experimental and ultralight aircraft. 3-d printed parts? materials from cars? alternatives to fabrics? alternatives to glues? alternatives to 6061 T6 or 4130 steel?