home built aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

prateek

can any one help me in making a aircraft with all the components buyed from local market and automobile engine in india.aircraft like mc-10 cri cri.
prateek

Craig

Certainly

Hi Prateek -

Welcome to the forum, and ys, we can give advice and tips on building airplanes. None of knows ALL the answers, and we are all enlightening ourselves here.

How big an airplane? What will be it's mission? What materials are you comfortable working with, or want to get experience with? How big an engine?

There are a number of airplanes that are fairly easy to build, some of wood, some with steel tube fuselage, fabric covered, some of aluminum, some of composite construction.

What type materials are available to you?

Again, welcome!

prateek

Re: Certainly

Hi craig

you can give me advice and tips on building airplanes. i want to built an aircraft with the wood and metal sheets and with an automobile engine of about 125 or 150cc. i could be a small aircraft for only one person idont know about steel tube and fibreglass. there is a aircraft named mc-10 cri cri i found it very intresting. i am not aware of the avavilability of the materials available in the market. i could be very simple design. please help me in this project. i have no earlier experience in building airplane

Craig

Power

Prateek, I don't think it's really feasible to build a plane capable of carrying a person with an engine that small. Even at peak efficiency, it would probably only put out about 15 HP, and you would need a reduction arrangement to cut the prop rpm's to something reasonable.

We do have a motor glider that is being re-built right now. It had a Trabant engine - we are replacing it with a Continental O-32. This is a 4-stroke, 4 cylinder engine. Right now, I think it is putting out about 25-28 HP at 2800 RPM. Empty weight of the motor glider is about 250 lb. Figure pilot at 180, that is a total of 430 lb., or 15.3 lb/HP.

While airplanes have been built with a higher power to weight ratio, I don't think I'd want to be the one to fly them.

I have heard of the CriCri, but never seen one.

Perhaps a larger engine? Many are flying at 25-35 HP.

Dieselfume

I believe a CriCri is a VERY light twin...
As such, 2 x 15hp might be OK.

I think there is an Aussie around that knows more about the CriCri...

Craig

Cri Cri

Thanks for the posts, CJ and Dieselfume. Sounds like two of those engines will get the job done! Maybe CriCriOz is still around someplace to help out Prateek also!

Prateek, let us know what materials you have available there in India - we'll help you figure something out.

Dieselfume - did you see that the Diesel Audi won the 12-Hours of Sebring? Had a 4-lap lead! First year in a while that I wasn't there, so I don't know if it had two big vertical stacks that would belch black smoke every time they accelerated, a la the drag (tractor-pull) diesels.

prateek

Re: Power

hei craig
thanks for responding. you are saying correct but i thought of atleast 2 engine of about 125 cc. but if it is not ossible then you suggest me about the design. with least possible cost. people says that its not possible but i want to make it possible plz tell your e mail add mine is prateek360p@yahoo.co.in
th ank for support
prateek