• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hinge half alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don january

I would like to ask the Forum their thoughts or experiences on getting alignment for the hinge half's . As it stands right now I drilled a single 1/8" hole on center line of the Horz, stab rear spar and plan to have a single bolt threw the hinge half held centered with another lock bolt in the same hinge half once all is together and moving smooth. On the elevator side my hinge half has two holes and they will be top and bottom of center line of the front spar of elevator. The question at hand is what would be the best way to transfer holes on the elevator side of hinge ? My idea at this time is to mount HZ half's and use a long 3/16 metal dowel which is the size of the AN bolts being used to join half's. I'm not sure yet if I can depend on a pin 50 inches long to keep alignment true but I can do the 4 hinges in group of 2 and that would make each alignment pin around 26-27 inches long but then I have the risk of not getting the 2 pins aligned to each other. If I can accomplish that mission then I have to connect half's with bolts and clamp or ?? the elevator to the mounted hinges and accurately transfer the holes from remaining half's to elevator spar with no way of positively knowing the surface is 100% true to the symmetrical airfoil the tail has. I posted a Picture of task at hand and a further note the spar height are not the same due to symmetrical airfoil and hinge width forward and aft. Thanks for any input Dony hinges.jpg

Back