Hello everyone- new member here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tommytom, Feb 17, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 17, 2019 #1

tommytom

tommytom

tommytom

My name is Tom. I've been in the aviation maintenance field since 94 when I joined The USAF and served as an F-16 crew chief. Since then I've worked for The Airlines, General Aviation maint, and worked as an Ag Pilot out of North Dakota (Airtractor 502). I've recently returned to The Airlines due to the instability of the agriculture business. It's time for me to buy my own airplane now. I'm an A&P, IA... so all I need now is $$$$... Which brings me here... looking for insight. I've got my eye on the RV8. But I'm open to suggestions. My mission being, speed, efficiency, light aerobatics and the ability to land and take off of short grass strips.
    Look forward to reading and learning from those that have gone before me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. Feb 17, 2019 #2

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

Welcome Tom! We have a bunch of RV's on our field so if you need specific questions answered I can certainly help - but you might be OK with the folks on HBA. I expect that the question of Tandem versus side by side will be a big one - if you take passengers they sometimes prefer to go side by side but I'm sure you know that.

We have RV7's and 12's and they are beautifully designed and put together kits with few issues plus an active forum. My hangar mate is building a 7 and I have noticed some of the RV guys spend huge amounts of money of their planes (way above and beyond their missions) so this could be cultural in the group or it could be for resale since the ship is so capable that some people would absolutely need avionics (for example) with tremendously advanced functionality.

I'm building a Zenith Cruzer so am a diddle around low and slow guy but the others will chime in soon.

tommytom likes this.
  3. Feb 17, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

It's going to be hard to beat an RV7 even against the rest of the RV fleet. If you really need more speed, you will start loosing the shorter field capabilities.

tommytom likes this.
  4. Feb 17, 2019 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

RV 8 is cooler but single pilot, you will want to ballest the back seat. 7 is just load it up because everything is close to the CG. The only time you notice looks is when parked. Hard to beat the 8 looks. 7 better overall. In my opinion of course.

tommytom likes this.