• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gnome engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derswede

Best to say "Possible for sale." Had an interesting chat with a guy today, who had a Bonanza that he had purchased from my father when he was selling Beechcraft. I had showed him a couple of Monocoupe photos when he asked what type of engine it had. I explained, then he said that an old friend of his had bought several Sopwith Camels after WW1 and was going to make a killing giving flying lessons and renting them out. He passed 30 or so years ago, but he said that one of the engines was in the barn, now owned by his 90 year old son. He asked if it had any worth, I of course said, NO and that I would be glad to come haul it off for him. As the son has health problems, he was thinking about selling off some of his "treasures', one of them the Gnome. I asked him if he could inquire about condition and price. Will let all know when I get an answer. He said that he and the son would crank it up on occasion, so it must be complete. Of course, I asked if he still had any airframes, he only has the one engine.

I do know that an Australian company makes Gnomes today, but this is the real thing. Anyone know what a typical asking price would be? Think the copy is around $65K, and you don't find these sitting on the side of the road. Any comments??

Derswede

Back