Glider Performance Limitations or Requirements

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by jedi, Sep 24, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 14, 2018 #81

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The consensus standards for light-sport aircraft gliders should assure that the retractable landing gear will be a simple mechanically operated system.

I just did a quick scan of the glider standards. Other than some structural standards there is nothing with regard to "simple". Interestingly it does require a mechanical backup if the gear is not normally manually operated and there are a couple of standards that seem to - require - the landing gear to be retracted during compliance tests. I'll double check when I get some more time...........

Topaz likes this.
  2. Dec 14, 2018 #82

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

as they say about getting old....having read your thread and forgotten that part.....sorry

3. Dec 14, 2018 #83

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Interesting. I've been planning a manually-retracted mono-wheel main gear, fixed tailwheel, and ground-removable outriggers, so for my own case that's probably as "simple, mechanically-operated" a system as you can get. If you can find more information, that'll be useful. Thanks!

No worries at all. If I had a nickle for every time I've... :gig:

4. Dec 14, 2018 #84

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

A Light Sport practical test (endorsement) can be done in a single seater, with the instructor on the ground.

"(f) Light-sport aircraft with a single seat. A practical test for a sport pilot certificate may be conducted in a light-sport aircraft having a single seat provided that the–
    (1) Examiner agrees to conduct the test;
    (2) Examiner is in a position to observe the operation of the aircraft and evaluate the proficiency of the applicant; and
    (3) Pilot certificate of an applicant successfully passing the test is issued a pilot certificate with a limitation “No passenger carriage and flight in a single-seat light-sport aircraft only.”

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. Dec 14, 2018 #85

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

PDF to private e-mail.........

Edit:
    Would be nice if we could attach files to HBA PMs.