Glider Performance Limitations or Requirements

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The consensus standards for light-sport aircraft gliders should assure that the retractable landing gear will be a simple mechanically operated system.

I just did a quick scan of the glider standards. Other than some structural standards there is nothing with regard to "simple". Interestingly it does require a mechanical backup if the gear is not normally manually operated and there are a couple of standards that seem to - require - the landing gear to be retracted during compliance tests. I'll double check when I get some more time...........

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The consensus standards for light-sport aircraft gliders should assure that the retractable landing gear will be a simple mechanically operated system.

I just did a quick scan of the glider standards. Other than some structural standards there is nothing with regard to "simple". Interestingly it does require a mechanical backup if the gear is not normally manually operated and there are a couple of standards that seem to - require - the landing gear to be retracted during compliance tests. I'll double check when I get some more time...........
Interesting. I've been planning a manually-retracted mono-wheel main gear, fixed tailwheel, and ground-removable outriggers, so for my own case that's probably as "simple, mechanically-operated" a system as you can get. If you can find more information, that'll be useful. Thanks!

as they say about getting old....having read your thread and forgotten that part.....sorry
No worries at all. If I had a nickle for every time I've... :gig:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
A Light Sport practical test (endorsement) can be done in a single seater, with the instructor on the ground.

"(f) Light-sport aircraft with a single seat. A practical test for a sport pilot certificate may be conducted in a light-sport aircraft having a single seat provided that the–
(1) Examiner agrees to conduct the test;
(2) Examiner is in a position to observe the operation of the aircraft and evaluate the proficiency of the applicant; and
(3) Pilot certificate of an applicant successfully passing the test is issued a pilot certificate with a limitation “No passenger carriage and flight in a single-seat light-sport aircraft only.”

Last edited: