FWF Weight of Full Dress VW

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Marc W, Jan 27, 2020.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 27, 2020 #1

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

I have always wondered what the installed weight of my 2180 cc VW is. I am doing some work on the airplane so I pulled the engine and setup a Rube Goldberg contraption to weigh it. The engine is complete with everything, including the engine mount, except for the voltage regulator. The engine has the Diehl accessory case, starter, Slick 4220 magneto, GPAS secondary electronic ignition, Zenith carb, airbox, 4 into 2 exhaust, oil cooler, and remote oil filter. I did not drain the oil.

Based on the numbers I read off the scale and a little measuring and figuring, I estimate the weight as 195 lbs. Light it ain't! I weigh just about 195 myself so after I got the engine off, I tried to weigh myself. The rig is a little unstable, so I didn't get an exact weight, but the scale read just about the same as it did with the engine. I am going to try to reweigh it via some other method but I don't think 195 is far off.

upload_2020-1-26_18-51-36.png
    upload_2020-1-26_18-50-38.png

2. Jan 27, 2020 #2

I have about the same trim on my Great Plains 2276CC VW for the Cygnet. Hapi case vs Diehl, Compufire DIS on a 009 with Dyna Coils I calculated 189lbs so 195 seems about right, I never weighed it. Allot to be said for hand propped simplicity Pops was flying 141lbs on the SSSC.

Pops likes this.
  3. Jan 27, 2020 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You've included a lot of things that don't normally get counted as engine weight (engine mount, exhaust system, engine oil, baffling, etc). It's good to see a complete FWF number, but it isn't a weight that is readily comparable to other published engine weights.
    Given the things you've included, and the fact that it has dual ignition, a full electrical system with starter, carb heat, a remote oil filter, etc, the weight sounds reasonable.
    Thanks for doing this.

Pops and cheapracer like this.
  4. Jan 27, 2020 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

Thanks. Wish more people would publish their VW engine weights.
    I have weighted about 8 different VW engine long blocks from the 1200 cc and up. They all weighted 116 lbs for the long block. The 1835 cc, 60 HP straight drive VW non electric engine weighed 141 lbs firewall forward. Engine mount and firewall mounted oil cooler and prop. Just unbolt the engine mount from the firewall with oil cooler and weigh. I tried to save every ounce. Replace the oil strainer steel plate under the case with one made from 3/16" aluminum, etc, etc. If I built another, I could same maybe another pound. I used stainless tubes for the intake manifold above the heads and the thinnest wall bent SS tubing I could find was .050" , like to use .035 for less weight. But just try to find the tubing in aluminum next time. Also same for the SS 9.5" long exhaust stacks, they are also .050 and would like .035. Also replaced the heavy steel oil pump cover with an aluminum one with outlet for a full flow oil system.

5. Jan 27, 2020 #5

delta

delta

delta

Just guessing here... The placement of the rod on the arm to the scale might vary the indicated weight from more to less as you move outward on the arm. You could experiment with a known weight. Did you subtract the weight of the arm itself? Nice idea reguardless...

6. Jan 27, 2020 #6

Theodore959

Theodore959

Theodore959

most of the fuss about weight is for ultralight 103 class.
    it's important to have an aircraft/airframe that can handle the weight, BearHawk, Aeronca, PiperCub, or Christavia Mk1 thats the one i'm think of... Maybe God has blessed this airplane? Lol (designed for missionary service in mind(STOL characteristics))
    Just building Engines right now, VW type 1 type 3 & type 4(the heavy one).
    Peace.

7. Jan 28, 2020 #7

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

Sounds like you are volunteering to check my work! Good idea! It is a half century since I took calculus and I don't hardly trust the old brain anymore so here you go.

First, I assembled my device and let the boom down on the scale at a measured mark. I zeroed the scale. The boom is 52-5/8" from pivot point to hook. The post resting on the scale is at 36-5/8" from the pivot. The scale read 280 lbs. with the engine on it.

As for the "experimenting with a known weight" you get a zero for reading and comprehension skills.

8. Jan 28, 2020 #8

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Thanks for doing this, wish it happened more often.

dragon2knight and Pops like this.
  9. Jan 28, 2020 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

IF more people published their installed and running VW engine weights it would be a huge help for people thinking about using a VW in their dream airplane.
    You can't get to much information when making a decision.

cheapracer and dragon2knight like this.
  10. Jan 28, 2020 #10

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

you mean like a class 3 lever,to quote Kermit F. "There must be 50 ways to love your lever"

delta and mcrae0104 like this.