• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Forkspar construction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berridos

Hi everybody

I read Jim Maskes composite manual and it is very useful.
However he doesn´t go into detail on how to laminate forkspars.
My goal is to make removable wings on my plane.
The right way according to Jim, is to do it by shaping one of the wingspars like a fork.
I understand that the way of doing this, is by laminating two symetrical sides with a curvature at one end and then glueing both together.
How strong can the curve be to avoid weaking the graphlite rod?
How many additional rods should I put at the curve?
What is the way of glueing the squared spar to the curved wingskin? How much filler can the epoxy tolerate for such a glueing?

What was very surprising to me in his book is that he says that the spars arent the structural attachment point to the fuselage.
I thought that the spar crossing inside a spartunnel carried most of the forces that go into the fuselage?

I am planning a high wing composite plane and want to avoid struts (like pipistrel) and the wing attachment is giving me headaches.

Regards

Back