FLYTHERED.COM

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by wanttobuild, Aug 11, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 17, 2018 #41

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Quite a few car propshafts now have rubber couplings that may be useful. Lovejoys aren't rated for many RPM.

2. Aug 17, 2018 #42

TFF

TFF

TFF

I have owned eight Alfa Romeos, and I have several hundred thousand miles driving them. I love my Alfas. I would not put one of their rubber doughnuts on a plane.

Vigilant1 likes this.
  3. Aug 17, 2018 #43

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

"Giubo" doughnut. Sorry! :)

4. Aug 17, 2018 #44

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

My '60's (?) Graziano Italian lathe has an electromagnetic coupling in the drive line. It's pretty cool in that the motor only turns in one direction but the spindle can turn forward or reverse and change direction of rotation instantly if desired. Smooth as silk, no gear grinding or metal clunking.

5. Sep 30, 2018 #45

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

NOBODY has yet managed to redrive a half-VW. Several have tried. Assuming that you can just fit one engineered for a different engine may be a trifle rash. Feel free to try it, though. I'd recommend plenty of ground testing.

6. Oct 1, 2018 #46

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Having owned many bikes and even one Harley. Neither the VW or Harley name impresses me.

7. Oct 1, 2018 #47

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I've heard that harleys are a lot better than they used to be. The Japs were killing their sales so they updated. I wasn't too smitten with the innards of an 80s one.

8. Oct 1, 2018 #48

lr27

lr27

lr27

I have seen ideas for magnetic reduction drives! At one point, I even sorta understood how they were supposed to work. Allegedly used, of all places, in oil drilling rigs to speed up and reduce the size of the tube driving the drilling head. I suspect that the electro-magnetic coupling works by eddy currents. If you have a rare earth magnet, try sliding it down a steeply inclined, conductive but non magnetic ramp like a large aluminum pan. Or try sliding it down a steeply slanted copper pipe. It's amazing how slowly they can go. For comparison, try sliding the same magned down a plastic tray or something. So I think if you put an aluminum disc on one side and a bunch of magnets almost touching the disc, arranged in a symmetrical fashion on the other side, you could have a reasonably non-slip coupling with lots of damping. Depending on how much it slipped, the aluminum disc would have to dissipate more or less heat.

It's not as necessary. If you're maintaining the same horsepower to disc area ratio, the diameter of the prop for the half VW will be 29 percent smaller, meaning 29 percent slower tip speed at the same rpm.

Well, there are always the imitation Harley's. Doesn't Honda have one?

9. Oct 1, 2018 #49

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I think all the japs have harley-esque models.
    Personally, I think that aero engines are best with OHV heads. They don't rev high so anything else is just extra weight. That means Harley is a top choice as the Japs have gone OHC.
    I did wonder about a 90 degree harley case, but the crank sucks for hanging a prop off, so you'd need a new one of those too by which time it was getting a lot of machining.