FLYTHERED.COM

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by wanttobuild, Aug 11, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 11, 2018 #1

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

The web site is up

Winchester likes this.
  2. Aug 12, 2018 #2

RonL

RonL

RonL

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Is it really supposed to be FLYTHREAD.COM ?

3. Aug 12, 2018 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

The web site Pepsi.com is also up. So is Craigslist.org and eBay.com

Would you mind telling us what this website is and why it is relevant to this forum?

4. Aug 12, 2018 #4

Winchester

Winchester

Winchester

Not the OP but I can answer. In July, Dan Johnson on the Light Sport and Ultralight Flyer YouTube channel introduced Steve Howard from LoneStar Light Sport, a one man VW conversion company that is dabbling with using Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Jugs to increase cooling and compression, ect. The Website was mentioned but was garbled by overflying jets, but you could just make out Fly-the-red dot com. Of those that found the website, it was a bit of a letdown because the website was in a generic template condition. Finding out the website is now complete is nice, been waiting over a month for more details on his project/product. The VW/HD Javelina has its own posting here in the VW forum I believe.

Edit: Thanks, Wanttobuild for the heads-up.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    wanttobuild likes this.
  5. Aug 12, 2018 #5

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

Oh Yeah
    I would be happy to tell you the revelance.
    It has to be the best vw conversion available. It is a better value than the 0-100.
    If Steve plays his cards right he is gonna make a sh#t load of money, leaving everyone else in the dust.
    I am gonna promote his conversion every chance I get and I am gonna by the 4cyl conversion when he has it ready.
    Did I answer your question?

You know, this guy has a superior engine to all other conversions available and I ain't gonna let anyone try to talk s#it about him.
    You promote the 0-100, I promote FLYTHERED.COM.
    Fair Enough?
    H-Minus

6. Aug 12, 2018 #6

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'm a little skeptical of someone claiming 75hp from a half VW that hasn't run yet.

sotaro and BoKu like this.
  7. Aug 12, 2018 #7

Winchester

Winchester

Winchester

Agreed. Obtaining 1 hp/CI in a VW with alternative top ends would be a notable goal. Also, insisting torque values over HP is a little headscratching. It is a waiting game and possible vaporware candidate, but exciting non-the-less. If he claims he can mate HD jugs to a Corvair block for a 240 CI then we will know he's.... waitaminnute can you do that!!???

8. Aug 12, 2018 #8

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

It is flying around now

9. Aug 12, 2018 #9

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

That the web site size 95 hp at the top of the page and 75 hp in the text also gives me pause.

sotaro likes this.
  10. Aug 12, 2018 #10

Winchester

Winchester

Winchester

It looks like they have two different 1/2 VW prototypes, 64 Cubic Inch and 80 Cubic Inch, neither currently running with the higher compression pistons. I think the varying numbers are specific to one motor to another, the 90 HP going to the future 80 C.I. running 9.5: 1 compression. Would be nice to know what motor is currently running/flying.

11. Aug 12, 2018 #11

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

I was excited to see this as well. I've been hoping someone would use Harley jugs for a motor. Would like to know what he using for lifters (tappets), solid rollers I would hope.

Also wish he had an option for a flywheel forward motor to utilize the biggest bearing for prop support. Maybe he could be prodded to look into it. Shrunk fit prop hubs and small bearing end of the motor seem to invite crankshaft failures in these engines. Although with a Diehl accessory case you can have 2 mags. A huge safety benefit in my eyes.

Pops likes this.
  12. Aug 12, 2018 #12

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Here you are today:

Here you were 2 weeks ago, talking about 2 stroke aircraft engines:
    2 days before that, going on about the 100HP Motorav:
    Five weeks ago, you had a different love, an 1835cc VW:
    Now, I'm not saying this hopping around diminishes in any way the value of your ringing endorsement of yet another engine, your proclamation that it is "superior to all other conversions available" or your ability to perform duties as self-proclaimed spokesman for same.

13. Aug 12, 2018 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Well I think you misunderstood me completely. I had no idea what this website was, what it was selling, or what the relevance was to HBA. By definition, this means that I had no idea you were talking about an engine, or Harley cylinders, or whether the engine was or was not better than the O-100.

As far as how good this engine is, or how much better or worse it is than any other engine, I have no idea. Yes I am promoting the O-100 because I have seen it run and seen it fly. But your friend's engine made up of Harley and VW parts may be a great engine too. I don't know enough about it to talk trash or talk nice.

Considering that you have drawn a line in the sand and announced that his is clearly superior to all others, please explain how and why it is superior. Please clearly and technically explain the design and engineering features, the metallurgy, the changes that allow a motorcycle cylinder to adapt to an automotive crankcase, any testing that has already been done, and make sure to explain the manufacturing quality control system.

Go ahead, here's the microphone.....

sotaro and don january like this.
  14. Aug 12, 2018 #14

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There's lots of uncertainty now: YouTube videos of interviews where one set of numbers is thrown around, web site info that doesn't match that, etc. I wish the best for this effort, but it appears to be a bit disorganized now. I hope he takes the time to standardize a package, give it a good test (on a stand and in aircraft), do some tear-downs to see how the bearings, case, valves, etc are holding up, and gradually increase the CR as things are wrung-out to get to the higher HPs that have been talked about.
    The field is littered with the carcasses of failed aircraft engine companies. We don't need another one. I hope he takes deliberate, responsible steps to bring a proven, reliable product to market. The concept of using heads with much larger fin area is a promising one, and their idea of increasing the CR to 9.5:1 for better power per cc in conjunction with this better cooling has merit, in theory. It could make for a light, powerful, and potentially inexpensive engine. But >all< the details have to be addressed, and the main one that comes to mind is the ability of a VW crank, bearings, and bearing support saddles to take the beating that a 75+ HP twin will administer. We already know that 75HP in a 4 cylinder engine puts some of these components under a lot of strain (and has broken crankshafts at the prop end before), the power pulses/TV of a 75HP twin will be much more severe.

Pops and Topaz like this.
  15. Aug 12, 2018 #15

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

75hp @ 3500rpm = 112ftlb, from 1320cc is doing suspiciously well. A quick google turned up someone selling a big bore tuning kit for sportsters. 1250cc managed a claimed 81ftlb. Of course, Lone star could be spinning ~5000rpm. But then he needs the redrive that nobody has yet managed for a 1/2 VW. You also need to wonder if the motorcycle rated engine parts will last at increased power with aircraft use. How long does a bike engine get held at full throttle? On a moped, full throttle can be held for hours, on a 100+ mph bike, stuff gets in the way...

I don't think that a flying pig engine is a bad idea at all, I just strongly suspect that this guy is hopelessly optimistic about achievable power. That makes wonder about his engineering skills. I see a lot of broken parts in his future.

sotaro and cluttonfred like this.
  16. Aug 12, 2018 #16

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

The domain needs to be parsed better... capitalize the F, T, and R, for instance.

I kept trying to sound it out when I first saw it. "Fly There D?" Some weird misspelling of "Feathered"? Norwegian version of Uber run by my distant relative, Erik the Red?

I finally decided it was someone with a lisp trying to say, "Fly Scared." And I thought, "I'm in!" :)

Ron Wanttaja

bmcj, Pops, cluttonfred and 5 others like this.
  17. Aug 13, 2018 #17

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

Lakeracer69
    The case can be machined to accept a better (front) bearing, he covers this in his interview with Dan Johnson. Steve is a custom builder, reasonably priced VW engine builder. He could use some encouragement and support.
    I don't mind the attacks on any statements I make.
    When you try to mention any competition watch out!

18. Aug 13, 2018 #18

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Don't know what you are saying here? I'm not attacking the guy. I have watched VW aviation stuff for the past 35 years or so and hoped and rooted for someone to come up with a "reasonably priced" design based on the VW. VW cranks, bearings, and cases have all been weak points for an aviation engine. That stands to reason as it was never intended to fly.

I hope he is one of those guys who gets it right. Looks like he is on the right track. Although, I think both of the "guys" should use an S&S carb instead of the stock Harley one. That Keihin(sp?) carb sucks. When there is a problem with one on a bike, most folks trash it and put on an S&S carb. That has been my experience from wrenching on Harleys for many years. YMMV

sotaro likes this.
  19. Aug 13, 2018 #19

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

I was talking about the folks from California

20. Aug 14, 2018 #20

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

I just want to know if it will go "potato, potato, potato" like a Harley...or would it be potato in German? (VW). Still prefer a radial...esp. a Warner or a Jake. Those say "Baked potatos"!

Derswede