• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fly by Wire Rudders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synergy

Synergy barely needs its twin mass-balanced rudders, but its pilot certainly cares about them! A fly by wire arrangement would greatly simplify and lighten our internal controls and help to deliver on the potential for having rudder control at all three pilotable seat locations, and to moving those locations as desired. This seems a good testbed for the concept.

Two independent servos are desired; each would actuate a single pushrod from locations in the wing ahead of each of the two boom tubes. We have some give on travel and torque, but the surfaces are not aerodynamically balanced, and overload flutter is not an option. "Overkill" is OK from a mass and balance perspective as long as we preserve a net savings. I will have to dig up the force calcs or do them over... stand by.

For the next few days I'll be considering your comments and concepts, but the goal here is to specify and purchase an appropriate hardware solution if one exists. Proof of concept is fine; it need not be something already in use if its design and engineering have been looking for such an opportunity. Obviously, we will make the call, and it's a tough sell. That doesn't mean we can't do it safely. Time is of the essence.

What is out there that I've missed? Been a long time in the CAD dungeon!

Attachments

• synergy 5 place.jpg
    synergy 5 place.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,023
Back