• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fixing an Out-of-Place hole...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I have an "Aw S*%t!" moment. I have a hard point with a bolt hole drilled out of alignment and I am trying to fix it rather scrap the part. The part is big and very time consuming to build... Don't even ask how I got the hole out of position - I am just crushed that I could make such a huge error.

The hard point has a laminated plywood core, a light fiberglass layup on one side, a heavy one on the other side, and an aluminum plate bonded and bolted on each side. Then the whole assembly was drilled and a bushing was bonded in too. The aluminum plates provide support for the bushing, so I do not think that I can just fill the hole and re-drill.

I know that we can not really bond aluminum to anything long term, so I am hoping that someone has had experience in how to help the aluminum let go of the epoxy so that I can remove these parts from the wood/fiberglass. If I can remove the plates, I can fill the hole with a thick mix of epoxy and glass, mount new plates, and drill in the right place. Any ideas?

The alternative is to fill the hole with a high density filler and drill for a larger bolt bushing with the hole drilled eccentric.

Bill

Back