first time homebuilt recommendations

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by jbirdfl, Sep 20, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1

jbirdfl

jbirdfl

jbirdfl

I just retired from 29 years of professional aviation, so now want to build something of my own just for fun. I know opinions will vary wildly, but I'd like a kit that is fairly easy to build, and can be trailered (relatively quickly broken down or put together) to what often will be "rough field" types of runways (Utah dirt strips and such). A two seater (or more) would be preferable. Whadaya think?

2. Sep 28, 2006 #2

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

3. Oct 2, 2006 #3

CriCriOz

CriCriOz

CriCriOz

A savannah! similar to a C701, but easier to build, quicker and has more range. yet the same stol abilities
    http://www.icp.it/avio_en.htm
    there outselling the 701 by about 4 to 1 in OZ.(so im told)

4. Oct 2, 2006 #4

CAB

CAB

CAB

5. Oct 6, 2006 #5

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

The Savannah is an unlicensed modified version of the Zenith CH701. ICP, the marketer of the Savannah, used to sell Zenith aircraft. They also market a modified version of the Zenith CH601. The takeoff and landing performance of the Savannah is not as good as the 701, though they advertise better range and cruise speed. I tend to distrust anyone who steals someone elses' design, and I somewhat distrust an aircraft modified by someone who is not an aircraft designer. The Savannah is easier to build due to matched holes, but that also makes it more expensive. It's a personal preference, but I would personally stick with the Zenith.

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/7-photo-copies.html#Ultraflight

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  6. Oct 10, 2006 #6

jbirdfl

jbirdfl

jbirdfl

Thanks for the input. Now I have some more studying to do! :)

7. Oct 10, 2006 #7

velojym

velojym

velojym

Zenith has upgraded their hardware recently, and I believe they are refining the kit parts quite a bit. It'd be worth checking out.
    Besides, build time seems pretty low on the
    genuine article anyway.
    My wife and I are building the CH801 now,
    at least, when I can manage to be home...

8. Oct 24, 2006 #8

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

Although they are well designed and easy to build kits, depending on how big you are, the Zenith might not be the kit for you. I am 6'-2" and sat in the Zenith several times at Oshkosh and there is not much room at all. I nixed that choice and went with the Murphy Rebel because of the faster cruise, lots more room and greater carrying capabilities.

www.murphyair.com

The Zeniths are really geared towards light sport and perform very well.

Depending on your budget, and if you want something STOL with a fast cruise capabilities, you could consider the Sportsman like CAB has suggested. For about $100K, with their 2 weeks to taxi program, you could have your aircraft flying in less than a month; (if you have the time and money for that).

It is a GREAT looking aircraft that is becoming VERY popular for people who want to travel and get in and out of short/rough fields.

It also has great cruise capabilities, where the 701 is not a very speedy plane. The Rebel is about 25 knots faster, but the Sportsman is another 30 knots faster than the Rebel!

Good luck with your search...

9. Oct 24, 2006 #9

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

There are lots of other good choices out there, but he wanted trailerable. That tends to limit the selection quite a bit. Not too many of those out there, and the Sportsman is not one. Is the Rebel trailerable? It was my impression it was not. They're both excellent planes though.

10. Oct 24, 2006 #10

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

Actually, both the Sportsman and Glasstar are trailerable with folding wings. Although Murphy advertises the ease in which the Rebel is "transportable", you have to take the wings off to do it. Not something that I will do often. The Glasair models "fold" which does not require you to re-check the incidence like I would if I took my Rebel wings off.

You are right tho, they are both great airplanes.

Are they still making the KitFox? I heard they they went under.. I wonder if anyone has picked them up. It was a great design.

11. Oct 25, 2006 #11

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Cool. I didn't know the Sportsman could do that. I find no mention of it on their web site, but it could be buried somewhere I didn't read. They have a picture of the Glastar wings folded.

New kit just came out.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/

12. Oct 26, 2006 #12

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

This was on their "Intro Page"...

"The Sportsman 2+2 is a new addition to the extremely popular Glastar family of aircraft. Building upon the Glastar heritage, the Sportsman 2+2 is the only four-place general aviation aircraft on the market that is a tail-dragger, trike, float ready, wing folding, trailerable , high-utility aircraft, all rolled into 1!"

I looked at the KitFox linek, nice! I'm glad that aircraft did not go away. The Super KitFOx has a useful load of 800lbs! Wow!

13. Oct 27, 2006 #13

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Oh sure! Hide it on the intro page! LOL!

14. Oct 27, 2006 #14

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

(grin)

15. Oct 31, 2006 #15

CriCriOz

CriCriOz

CriCriOz

Ahhhh The Irony......

somone has forgotten the Cricket..... the stolen version of the Cri Cri, but sadly, Mr Heintz's Modifications to the original design proved Fatal.... and due to the USA's fantastic legal system, an innocent man in France, Mr Colomban, the original designer, was bankrupted trying to defend himself.

as for the C701 and Savannah, i have seen and flown both, i know what i prefer....

16. Oct 5, 2007 #16

bill k

bill k

bill k

if you want something that would be really fun very affordable,sporty and easy to build go to www.bkfliers.com and check out the bk flier. i am hoping like mad, to get some credit since i have none at the moment so i can build this awesome little plane. it can be built for 7000 but plans won't be ready for a couple months yet. god speed and happy flying. bill k