• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

first build - asking for advice on all metal 2 seater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothykamp

OK, first let me introduce myself. My name is Timothy Kamp and I am a student studying to become an engineer. I am currently a student who loves to tinker, fix and learn about mechanical things. I have been fascinated by flight for quite some time, and recently I have decided that I want to build an airplane for myself.

Here are a few goals

1. Learn about flight, aeronautics and the like while having fun.

2. Build a plane out of scratch

3. Learn to fly

Pretty ambitious, I think, but they can be accomplished. Here's what I think I am looking for in a first plane. I could be wrong, I have a few questions you can answer and tell me what you think.

I am looking to build:
1. a 2 seater plane
2. I would like an all welded steel frame, with ribs and everything made out of steel
3. I would like the kind of plane that has the wings below the cockpit or level with it, instead of them being over it.
4. I would like to be able to carry 2 people (about 500 pounds total) and still be able to take off in a rather short distance
5. Ease of control is essential, as I have never flown before.

A few questions
1. Will an all welded steel frame work? It will be heavy, but tubular steel is strong, so I won't need it very thick. I can also use thin plate steel to make the ribs.

2. What do I use to cover the wings? Fiberglass is out of the question because I have no experience with the stuff, so I need something that can be welded (preferably very thin steel) or rivited (i need to learn how) onto the ribs of the wing.

3. Can I use a small car engine? It would have to be a 2 or 3 cylinder engine(less than 1.8 liter) and lightweight, but I think i could get one from a junkyard and get it working very cheaply

4. Where can I find a plan that I can modify? I would something free at first, so I can see exactly what I am getting, then modify it enough that i can achieve my goals (short takeoff, lift the steel frame, travel at a decent speed)

5. How fast can I make it go, provided that i close in the cockpit? Is it possible to reach 100 mph?

One quick side note - i have a large farm on which i can test the plane without needing to comply with any specific regulations (as long as I don't go to high)

Lastly, a propeller. What is it going to cost me, and where can I get one, and do they sell them secondhand?

Back