Quantcast

Fabric repair over latex paint

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pshadwick

I managed to damage my Cabin Eagle in a taxi incident (it hasn't flown yet). The damage I'm concerned about here is to the wing tip.

I broke the end ribs.
I have cut back the fabric to the 2nd from end rib bay to check for any additional damage. I have almost completed the structural repair and will shortly need to repair the fabric.
The fabric has been on there less than a year and was painted with latex house paint, including a latex primer.
The fabric is 1.7 oz. and was glued using Stewart system adhesive.
I'm trying to decide the best way to connect the old fabric to the new. I can probably remove the tape over the 2nd to last rib (it was rib stitched) and get to fabric with no paint, however the clear area will be only 2" wide. Do you think it would be satisfactory to glue new fabric where the tape was, rib stitch, and then tape over?
I could also glue the new fabric to the underside of the old. It's not covered in paint but the paint has soaked thru to some extent.
I could try and remove the paint. Is this possible to a sufficient extent to allow a new glue joint? What would I use to remove the paint without compromising the fabric?
Any other ideas?

Thanks...Paul

Victor Bravo

I can't say anything about the Stewart Systems, but on every other fabric system they want you to remove the coatings down to the bare fabric before you patch in to it.

That being said... I believe the Stewart Systems glue is very strong, and will probably stick to anything clean, and the airplane you're talking about goes 60 miles an hour :)

Mcmark

I glued a patch over a tear on the Cuby gear leg. Aerothane, scuffed with 320 and 3M 30NF on the patch. Actually pulled the old fabric tighter.
I believe if you use good technique you won't have an issue.
Ohh and what VB said!
"and the airplane you're talking about goes 60 miles an hour"

TFF

Because it’s not Stewart’s all the way through, you will need to remove the latex; then just follow the Stewart’s instructions for repair.

Doran Jaffas

I managed to damage my Cabin Eagle in a taxi incident (it hasn't flown yet). The damage I'm concerned about here is to the wing tip.

I broke the end ribs.
I have cut back the fabric to the 2nd from end rib bay to check for any additional damage. I have almost completed the structural repair and will shortly need to repair the fabric.
The fabric has been on there less than a year and was painted with latex house paint, including a latex primer.
The fabric is 1.7 oz. and was glued using Stewart system adhesive.
I'm trying to decide the best way to connect the old fabric to the new. I can probably remove the tape over the 2nd to last rib (it was rib stitched) and get to fabric with no paint, however the clear area will be only 2" wide. Do you think it would be satisfactory to glue new fabric where the tape was, rib stitch, and then tape over?
I could also glue the new fabric to the underside of the old. It's not covered in paint but the paint has soaked thru to some extent.
I could try and remove the paint. Is this possible to a sufficient extent to allow a new glue joint? What would I use to remove the paint without compromising the fabric?
Any other ideas?

Thanks...Paul
I concur with Victor Bravo. I would increase the overlap but definitely get down to bare fabric if no standard coatings were used. A MUST. Standard coatings are more expensive but in an event like yours, much easier to repair safely.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
This be a dumb question, but is it possible to use a paint stripper? Will it remove the paint, and leave the fabric unharmed?

imacfii

Nop, paint stripper will destroy the fabric completely!

I have seen the result of someone trying it, sludgy mess?
Not quite so. I had a Luscombe covered with Ceconite 7600 Blue River system. The first water based system. It had a grey rubbery primer that I just couldn't get off, even with sanding. The other issue was the fabric was a bit loose. I poured paint stripper over the entire wing. It shrunk the fabric enough that all the tapes shrunk and had to be replaced. Fabric came up beautifully. Russ

TFF

There is some latex type strippers. Pretty easy to make a test. Already having to cut fabric away. Might as well see. There is always slow and easy sanding. Zen style. Old standbys like mek blistering it off. Repair is never fun.

Geraldc

Some latex paints can be removed with methylated spirits.

Victor Bravo

If the OP is rib stitching the new fabric to the structure (second rib), and to the old fabric (also covering second rib), then there is no need to strip paint off of anything.

ALSO, peeling the tape from the rib should expose the rib stitching and leave plain, un-painted fabric under the rib stitching. So you can also glue the new fabric to that, then stitch it onto the rib (which meand youa renow stitching two layers of fabric to the rib... old fabric with new repair fabric over it), and proceed with the dope and UV blocker and whatever matching paint. There is no need to glue the new fabric to the portion of the old fabric that still had paint on it. You have a mechanical fastener (the stitch cord).

Chilton

Not quite so. I had a Luscombe covered with Ceconite 7600 Blue River system. The first water based system. It had a grey rubbery primer that I just couldn't get off, even with sanding. The other issue was the fabric was a bit loose. I poured paint stripper over the entire wing. It shrunk the fabric enough that all the tapes shrunk and had to be replaced. Fabric came up beautifully. Russ
Wow!

I dont think I have ever actually seen the Blue River /Ceconite 7600 system so maybe I need to look out for that. What stripper did you use? Could be a usefull trick!

In a way the worst one I ever saw was an aircraft covered with cotton, when the stripper was used it soaked in to the fabric rather than disolving it like the polyester fabrics, the owner could not figure out why every time he tried to reapply dope and paint the whole lot pickled and came back off straight away, by the time he asked for help after about 2 weeks the fabric had also lost all strength and my boss poked his finger through the fabric very easily.

imacfii

Wow!

I dont think I have ever actually seen the Blue River /Ceconite 7600 system so maybe I need to look out for that. What stripper did you use? Could be a usefull trick!

In a way the worst one I ever saw was an aircraft covered with cotton, when the stripper was used it soaked in to the fabric rather than disolving it like the polyester fabrics, the owner could not figure out why every time he tried to reapply dope and paint the whole lot pickled and came back off straight away, by the time he asked for help after about 2 weeks the fabric had also lost all strength and my boss poked his finger through the fabric very easily.
Yes, cotton will just soak up any liquid. The paint stripper I used was from an automotive paint supplier, and was the strongest stripper they had - for stripping 2 pot epoxy. It worked extremely well, but softened the glue a little bit. The tapes shrunk to the point I replaced all of them. I dont think Blue River is in production any longer, it was not a wonderful product. Russ

pshadwick

If the OP is rib stitching the new fabric to the structure (second rib), and to the old fabric (also covering second rib), then there is no need to strip paint off of anything.

ALSO, peeling the tape from the rib should expose the rib stitching and leave plain, un-painted fabric under the rib stitching. So you can also glue the new fabric to that, then stitch it onto the rib (which meand youa renow stitching two layers of fabric to the rib... old fabric with new repair fabric over it), and proceed with the dope and UV blocker and whatever matching paint. There is no need to glue the new fabric to the portion of the old fabric that still had paint on it. You have a mechanical fastener (the stitch cord).
Thanks, This pretty much how I'll do it, but I will take a look at the Stewart manual for repairs.
Oh and I hope to get 70mph :)

KWK

HBA Supporter
An EAA webinar this summer on painting with house paints included a comment from a listener that xylene has been used to remove latex paints before repairs.