F Storch

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cblink.007

Welcome to HBA! I don't have any Storch background, except for seeing one in a museum! I'd recommend posting your info request in some of the forums here; there is a chance a member has some 3/4 Storch experience to share.

Best of luck, and again, welcome aboard!

TFF

I want to say it’s not a plans built aircraft, it came in kit form. I would not trust the plan seller. It’s probably only an instruction book. I thought they came out of Australia as kits only. There use to be a project of one at my airport. Even at 3/4 scale it has presence. Not a small plane.

Hydroglen

Thanks for the welcome guys. I am interested in a STOL plane and the Rally I have is done and unlikely to fly again. In any case the best I could do was 500' on a warm day and 1000'ASL. Would like to be closer to the 150' mark so the Storch would do it and has the same features as my Rally....auto slats and Fowler flaps. I also like weird looking stuff:)
Supposedly they sold an ultralight version, complete or in kit, but not anymore or the ones that did, don't reply to e-mails.
Anyway doesn't hurt ask.

Doran Jaffas

If you like weird you're definitely looking at the right airplane lol. On the other hand I've always liked them. Their performance is stellar and I imagine even in an ultralight version it would be the same. They are so ugly that you are drawn to them whenever you see one. And on that note one of my favorite military airplanes is the A-10 so I guess you and I are in the same boat so to speak. Good luck and please keep us posted. Very interesting topic.

JohnB

HBA Supporter
Got a buddy that has one, complete except engine, but needs some tlc. He MIGHT sell it. PM me if interested.

JB

Groundhog Gravy

Lots of ideas about how to fly it, and not to fly it...
I've got a backache today, and the clench factor that thread's video induced didn't do it any favors. I can see both sides of the argument that ensued: impressive that it kept flying through that, but a really bad idea.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Un-coordinated flight was taught, is taught, and should be taught. Or did they "cancel" that too?

There is a minimum speed and AoA and total energy that the inside wing has to maintain during a turn, to prevent the wing from stalling. If the outside wing has higher energy than the inside wing, and the inside wing is still flying, then what of it? Only if the inside wing stalls before the outside wing, do you have a partial stall and probably an incipient spin.

OK, so now you have a partial stall... my instructor (and the instructors for many of us here) made me do that a hundred times. It's like skidding a car around a turn. Your groceries may spill out of the bag on the seat next to you.

But if you skid through a turn in such a way that the inboard wing does not get down to the speed/AoA where it lets go, then nobody needs to soil their undergarments.

In a Cessna 150, you may be able to do this skidding turn at 50-60 mph in level flight before the inside wing lets go. In the Storch, you may be able to do it at 30 mph, because that's the kind of aerodynamic performance that makes the Storch worth having.

The only reason for soiling any one's undies is if the person in the Storch was experimenting with that kind of flight for the first time at low altitude, instead of doing it at spin recovery altitude. Or doing it over somebody's house, or the proverbial schoolyard.

Hydroglen

In a Cessna 150, you may be able to do this skidding turn at 50-60 mph in level flight before the inside wing lets go. In the Storch, you may be able to do it at 30 mph, because that's the kind of aerodynamic performance that makes the Storch worth having.

Agree `100% and I could do that with my Rally at 50 mph without even getting excited.....if I had a fellow pilot as passenger they got a weird look in their eyes LOL.

BELinNC

Saw this thread. I am a new Slepcev Storch project owner. I am really happy with it so far, but have a long way to go getting it back in the air. I have some recent dealings with the designer. If I can answer any questions please let me know

Riggerrob

Lazlo Pazmany also designed a Storch reduced scale replica.

Another American also sold plans for a Storch replica.

Geraldc

As far as I can tell, Build and Fly Shop is a Russian scammer site selling pirated drawings gathered from the internet. I would not buy from them
Run don't walk from this site.