Quantcast

External Storage Pod

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Othman

I would have to agree with PilotSpike, a belly pod would be awkward to access.

I would recommend a couple of tip pods sort of like in the image below. The could be made from metal, with composite nose and tail fairings. You could also get the benifit of end plates on your wings.

Carriage of dead weight is also done more efficiently, from a structures point of view, on the wings than strapped to the fuselage. However, mounting anything to the wings requires more engineering work.

Note: the original image is from the Van's website.

Attachments

Captain_John

Well, any way you (or I) slice it... it's ALOTTA work!

This is why I guess that it hasn't been done yet to my knowledge!

My brain hurts!!! This is WAAAAY too much thinking for me after dinner!

:wail: CJ

You can always hinge the canopy at the front, open it a little bit and let your fishing rods out a la hatchback.

Max.

Rhino

Well, if you're going to the trouble of installing a tip pod ........... why not on the rudder?

Attachments

Captain_John

Originally posted by everyman_flight
You can always hinge the canopy at the front, open it a little bit and let your fishing rods out a la hatchback.

Max.
Hahaha... :roll:

I don't know what is scarier! The canopy not shut or my expensive graphite rods swingin' in the breeze!

:gig: CJ

Dieselfume

Originally posted by Rhino
Well, if you're going to the trouble of installing a tip pod ........... why not on the rudder?
Sometimes extra pods/tanks look cool (like the later C310) and sometimes they ruin a beautiful plane, like the Nimrod did to the Comet... :rolleyes:

The combination of fishing poles and Othman's tip pod idea made me think of that outfit that makes Wingtip/Tube tanks for RV's, making a RV-6 into a RV-6ER. The tube slid in the lightening holes in the ribs and the end has a rectangle tank fit in the outer section of wing. I believe KR-2 people do something similar with big PVC pipe.

(Ha, finally found it)
http://www.safeair1.com/HWA/er_RV6.htm

Anyway, have a wingtip that opens up to access storage like that RV-6 tank. The tube part can hold your fishing rods! Or a rifle/shotgun properly secured/padded. Just make a custom beefed up wingtip with a door that opens on the end, hinged at the bottom. The end door could be angled out, like a hoerner wingtip. Line it with carpet, That whole section is what, 7" tall, 12" wide and 36-48" deep (depending on how far aft you consider useful). Not huge, but big enough for a lot of stuff...