• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ethics question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it ethical to buy a usable airplane just to raid it for parts?

• Total voters

gtae07

Supporting Member
So I've begun engine-shopping in earnest. I'd rather not drop the coin for a new engine if I can avoid it (the prices are jaw-dropping; even the Van's package discount and Osh/SnF special are breathaking).

I've run across a couple of deals online for flyable aircraft with the engine/prop I want, priced at lower than the cost of a new engine alone. I found one deal with a not-quite-flyable airplane where the engine, prop, and avionics alone would save me $10k or more, and that's not even counting anything I parted off and sold. (I'm probably going to pass on it though--the engine is really low utilization and has been sitting for a while, and I am concerned there might be corrosion on the camshaft and crankshaft...)

I've seen a few other deals for outright flyable aircraft that I could make use of. But then the voice in the back of my head started saying something about it being wrong to buy someone else's flyable homebuilt and part it out or cut it up (and I don't think some people would sell to me if they knew that was my plan).

So what do you think: is this an ethical move? Or is there a special circle in hell reserved for people who cut up flying airplanes?

Back