Epoxy recommendations!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

dwalker

I very much would like to use MGS epoxy which I am familiar with, however the COVID has disrupted the supply chain and there is none to be had. Does anyone have any recommendations and positive experiences as to an alternative epoxy to MGS that is actually available?

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Jeffco 1307 resin with 3176 hardener is my go-to system, and I use it just like MGS 285. The numbers are comparable. I don't know for sure, but I think you can even blend the slow and medium hardeners to customize the pot and working times, just like MGS.

dwalker

Jeffco 1307 resin with 3176 hardener is my go-to system, and I use it just like MGS 285. The numbers are comparable. I don't know for sure, but I think you can even blend the slow and medium hardeners to customize the pot and working times, just like MGS.

I am about to make a Spruce order and drive down to Atlanta and pick it up, so I will add a starter kit to it to try. Do you know if it is as "thin" as the MGS?

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
I am about to make a Spruce order and drive down to Atlanta and pick it up, so I will add a starter kit to it to try. Do you know if it is as "thin" as the MGS?
Just looking at the numbers, it appears that Jeffco is thicker than MGS at ~1000cps vs ~400cps.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I very much would like to use MGS epoxy which I am familiar with, however the COVID has disrupted the supply chain and there is none to be had. Does anyone have any recommendations and positive experiences as to an alternative epoxy to MGS that is actually available?
I like Pro-Set:

Used it on many planes. Plus, it's approved by RAF, which the Jeffco isn't. Doesn't mean it won't work fine - if Bob uses it, I'm sure it's also good, but I like to go with what's known to work on the type of plane you're building. If MGS isn't available, then Pro-Set is the backup. Unless you're doing strakes/fuel tanks, in which case EZ-Poxy 10/87 is the right answer.

Bille Floyd

I very much would like to use MGS epoxy which I am familiar with, however the COVID has disrupted the supply chain and there is none to be had.
Dang -- and Aircraft Spruce is out of Aeropoxy laminating epoxy, also ! :(
I use it because there is no MDA, in it (a known liver toxin and carcinogen)
and it also is Rutan , and RAF approved.
I believe MGS , has no MDA in it , also ?

I can't even be in a room ; with an open can of West system slow hardener ;
that's what happens, when a guy misuses it for too long, (gets an allergy to it).

Bille