• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Drilling a pair of fittings and spar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynow

I have to mount a pair of (aluminum) fittings to the (1" wood) spar. The plans detail the exact location of holes on the fittings. I can drill both fittings at the same time so the holes line up, but wondering how to best drill the spar. I have to make sure the hole is perfectly straight through. Thinking about drilling a pilot hole in one fitting and using that to mark (punch) the location on the spar. I also thought about drilling (with drill guide) one fitting right on the spar, then taping the other fitting to the other side in position, flipping the spar over, and drilling through the hole into the other fitting.

I did read Tony Bingelis. Wondering what others have done. Thanks!

John C

Back