Docs Vigorously Oppose Driver’s License “Medical”

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by dcstrng, Jun 12, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

“The tone of the discussion [during the discussions leading up to the AMA vote] verged on disrespectful to pilots. One AME, he said, asked during his testimony, `Have you seen those guys hanging around the airport? You need me to make sure they are safe to fly.’ The comment, McCoy said, was greeted by laughter from those in attendance…”

See: AMA Vote Reveals Dirty Secret of 3rd Class Medical | Flying Magazine

2. Jun 12, 2014 #2

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Doctor: What? I'm not going to be making money off pilots anymore? Of course I'm against a drivers license medical.

mcrae0104 and JamesG like this.
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #3

tspear

tspear

tspear

Actually on BeechTalk there is a long thread about this. A few points the docs make:
    1. AMA does not represent doctors. In fact less then 10% of doctors are members of AMA.
    2. Very few doctors actually make money doing AME work. Most look to break even and cover the costs and do it because they are pilots and want to help other pilots.

Tim

4. Jun 13, 2014 #4

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

I'm guessing this is 100% correct; regrettably the AMA is usually seen as the political/professional voice -- whether representing the majority or not...

5. Jun 13, 2014 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

money is not made for class 3. Commercial grades With EKGs and Airline guys have to get verification medicals for the union/airline, too. Class 1 pilots at the Airline level will have at least 3 $500-1000 exams. The docs pay attention if you fly for a living. Someone who just wanted a Class 1 medical with a private only dose not get the same attention as an ATP. Example is a friend who is a doc ,went to get his Class 2 and on the side he started using his CFI instead of just being a private pilot with more ratings; that changed the whole attitude of the exam he said.

6. Jun 13, 2014 #6

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

As such, I suspect the group's objection has more to do with CYA concerns for the benefit of the organization, rather than preserving some revenue source for their members. They don't want to be part of the list of people who said, "Yeah, sure, dump Class 3 and go with DL's", if something actually does go wrong. Organizations - and professional organizations in particular - have one overriding priority: Protect the organization.

7. Jun 13, 2014 #7

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

What is the ratio of fatalities caused by private (non-commercial) pilot incapacitation due to medical problems compared to doctors in "V" tails?

8. Jun 13, 2014 #8

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It would be interesting to compare:
    1) Man-years of life saved due to the Class III medical requirement.
    2) Man-years of life spent by all US pilots in driving to these medical appointments, waiting in the office, getting the exam, filling out the paperwork, earning the money to pay the doc, etc. And add in any mortality/morbidity from road accidents going to/from appointments.

I'd bet 2) is higher.

mcrae0104, Pops and Topaz like this.