Dakota Hawk , Belfast Maine

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by Danielle, Jun 26, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 10, 2013 #81

Danielle

Danielle

Danielle

Last week I did some work on my instrument panel. I decided I could fit more gauges in the panel if I stacked them so here's the first try. all my gauges are new UMA brand Non TSO'. I had thought about getting a german brand called Winter but my questions to Aircraft spruce never got answered to my satisfaction . Which led me to believe that getting service might be more trouble then it was worth . I am still missing a turn coordinator and CHt and radio and compass . Here the latest lay out. To improve access I had to cut the panel right down the middle i used a very thin kerf saw to minimize the size of cut and it may get a trim piece to cover it up in the end .
    100_1433.jpg
    The left side is , VSI , Airspeed , Altitude the right side has Volt /amp combo, fuel gauge, oil pressure, oil temp , EGT

Danielle

ionraice, jimson and Mark Z like this.
  2. Apr 21, 2013 #82

Danielle

Danielle

Danielle

My new tail wheel arrived the other day . I thought I would share some photos of it . This is a 9 inch custom " Tundra lite" tail wheel Made by Jim Pekola from Aberdeen Washington and is the same tail wheel that is on the Super stol highlander that was at Sun and Fun last week. The Highlander has a different mount then mine .I installed it on my Hawk today but my Camera was not working so I will just post the photos jim took when he finished it . This is what they call a free castering tail wheel there are no springs or chains to hook up to the rudder . but there is a lock that is controlled from a push pull cable in the cockpit that locks the wheel in the straight ahead position for take off and landings. The tire is 3.5 inche's wide and runs about 10 ibs air pressure . The workmanship is outstanding and it really looks good on the airplane. If anyone wants Jims email just pm I will forward it to you.
    Tundra Lite 2 015.jpg Tundra Lite 2 030.jpg Tundra Lite 2 017.jpg
    Danielle
    N5660
    DH87

jimson and JBAZ like this.
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #83

Danielle

Danielle

Danielle

Over the last two week I managed to get both wing tanks installed . Just getting the courage to cut a hole in my brand new wings was the hardest part . After cutting out the second rib and a bunch of Geodetic strapping I had to build a platform for the tank to sit on . It must be positioned just right because the Flap torque tube runs right through the middle of the fuel tank .It is important that the torque tube does not rub on any part of the tank So a lot of time was spent getting the fit just so . All in all I had at least ten hours wrapped up in the installation . the tanks are strapped in position with steel strapping I used 1/8 inch ply between the strapping and the tank to prevent chafing . Then reinstalled all the Geodetic and positioned a new rib in place. And of course both tanks were pressure tested for 24 hours at 3 psi then flushed out with lacquer thinner to remove any nasty residue from the welding . My tanks came from Fisher flying products and I must say there are very beefy and high quality tanks. I am also very impressed with the design .
    100_1436.jpg 100_1437.jpg 100_1442.jpg 100_1447.jpg 100_1458.jpg

Heres a couple quick shots of my new tail wheel on the airplane. i just love this tail wheel .Smiple is better.
    100_1460.jpg 100_1462.jpg

Danielle
    DH87
    N5660

FlyingANT64, litespeed and JBAZ like this.