Crankshaft end play. I think this is to much. What do you think.

Discussion in 'Half VW' started by N8053H, Oct 26, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 28, 2015 #21

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I spoke with Scott just a few mins ago. He said it will not effect anything for the play is in one direction. When turning the crank in the direction it runs the crank has the correct gap or is aligned. It's when turning it backwards I get the play. But when turning the direction of travel or the way it would turn when running the crank is at a correct alignment. He said it has something to do with the snap ring. Some engine will have this end play and some will not. But it only pulls one direction when running. Quote from Scott.
    I trust what he is telling me. I do like this engine. She runs better every time I run her. I noticed this when getting her ready for the end of the year Condition inspection.

Tony

Pops and StarJar like this.
  2. Oct 28, 2015 #22

Pops

Pops

Pops

When Scott lived in NW Ohio, I used to go to the Humble Bird fly-in at the airport where he was based. I have met and talked to him several times and he seems like a very nice person and knows what he is talking about and sells good products. I would trust his engines over the engine with the pretty red parts.

Dan

Turd Ferguson and N8053H like this.
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #23

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I wanted Scott building my engine just for the reasons you mention Pops. When I called him and ask him to build me an engine, he said it would be close to one year before I had it back in my hands. I told him not a problem. I wanted an engine I could count on. I feel Scott gave me just that. I have over 100 hrs on it now and she runs better with every flight.

Tony

P.S. I wish Scott was still in the midwest and not Arizona.

4. Oct 29, 2015 #24

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Banned

While Scott may have enough experience to tell you the play won't be a problem, I can't agree with his statement that the play is only
    in one direction....because of the engine rotation. Endplay by its very definition has to be in two directions.. When a prop is spinning,
    even though it's only turning in one direction, it speeds up and slows down....so does the crankshaft. While these changes in rotational
    speed happen at a speed imperceptible to the human eye, they do happen.Maybe it won't ever cause a problem for you, but from the
    information available I have to say I'm skeptical of the explanation.
    As an old time machinist I know that excess play doesn't just happen....there has to be a reason.,and that reason should be found
    during assembly and dealt with. Proper build procedures should produce similar results each time. Just saying that "some engines
    will have it and some won't" doesn't inspire confidence from my perspective.

delta and don january like this.
  5. Oct 29, 2015 #25

TFF

TFF

TFF

Is this a 1/2 case or a full case?

6. Oct 29, 2015 #26

StarJar

StarJar

StarJar

1/2 case

N8053H likes this.
  7. Oct 29, 2015 #27

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I trust what Scott tells me.

260.jpg

8. Apr 18, 2019 #28

Tuneturkey

Tuneturkey

Tuneturkey

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

My full case 1/2 VW uses a full thrust bearing at the cutoff location of the crank, bearing #2 position (#1 being on flywheel end) with a round plate bolted to the cut of end of the crank. Only one shim in place between the thrust bearing and the rod bearing throw, provides .006 mm gap. In the above posts, I read that there should be no less the 3 shims. Shaft rotation still feels tight, but rotates easily by hand. Should I shave the face of the thrust bearing so that 2 additional shims can be inserted?

9. Apr 19, 2019 #29

GeorgeG

GeorgeG

GeorgeG

You want 3 shims. They act as an 'end play' bearing and you need them, so you have enough spaces to enable oil to get between them. Each one spins at a slightly different rate, to reduce friction between the bearing thrust flange (which is locked stationary in the case) and whatever is bolted onto the end of the crank (and spinning).
    And you can measure end play with a feeler gauge. Bolt some kind of arm or bracket on the case that reaches over the end of the crank. Make something out of angle iron or something. Measure the clearance between the end of the crank and your 'fixture', push or pull the crank, measure again. The difference is your end play.