• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Control Surface Hinge Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
For some time, I had assumed that I would just use 1/4" ID PM bronze flange bushings on my flap and aileron pivots. I never even did any benchmarking on what is used in the airplanes I have been looking at. And because I am using off wing pivots for flaps and ailerons, I was hoping the keep this stuff tight for aero drag reasons.

Two nights ago, I did a check on bushing contact stress, and realized that for the pivots that also carry the actuator load, they were overloaded! Gulp. I feel like a dope...

So, I checked into bushings and miniature ball bearings and needle bearings... Lots of stuff that can carry the load, but gee whiz, not very compact. Nor cheap. It even looks like if I just stuck with PM bronze and went to 3/8"ID, I would be OK.

Then I started thinking about the rest of the issues. Dive speed is 268 knots, and the clearances that bushings imply has me wondering if bushing clearance would get me into flutter issues. Perhaps bearings are the way to go..

So, what do the rest of us know about control surface hinges, slop in the system, and the need for bearings?

Billski

Back