Clutton FRED Series 2 vs. Series 3?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
A couple of questions that I'm sure Matthew and Abe know off the top of their heads.

1) What's the difference between the FRED Series 2 and Series 3?
2) How do I know which series my plan are? My plans are 11x17 with yellow cover sheets, there's no series number or dates any where I can find. They're probably 20 or 30 years old.

Thanks
Fritz

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am alive and well and recently arived in our nation's capital.

When I asked Eric for the breakdown of the Series designations, he basically just expressed annoyance that those distinctions are a PFA/LAA invention.

In the course of the small changes and upgrades and options added to the plans at various times over 50 years, the powers that be pretty much arbitrarily decided to freeze those changes as Series 2 and later again as Series 3. To Eric they are all just FRED.

I'll see if I can get a list of all the changes so you and others can just check to see if you have all the sheets, "Series" be damned. ;-)

Cheers,

Matthew

FritzW

Log Member
Thanks Matthew,

I'm modeling the FRED's wing and folding mechanism (considering the FRED wing for a different project). I didn't want to model an outdated version if major changes were made.

I went through my plans again looking for a date, no luck. I should probably just order a fresh set.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
About a month ago, I sprung for a set of plans for the kids in Cornwall building/restoring a pair of FREDs. They were sharing one set between two schools. Since that is the absolute latest issue, I have asked the teacher if she or one of the kids could make a drawing list.

FritzW

Log Member
Thanks.

I just sent Eric an email to check on current pricing (I used the link on your CluttonFRED page, I hope that's Eric's).

Like VP-1 plans, it's probably best to get a new set every few decades anyway :gig:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Price was still $50 plus postage last time I checked (a few months ago). Details on site are correct.

FritzW

Log Member
I just sent Eric an email to check on current pricing
I heard right back from him. All the info on Matthew's CluttonFRED page is still current.

I ordered a new set this morning, I'll see if there are any changes from my 30 year old set. ...I suspect any changes happened way before that though.

FritzW

Log Member
Is this wing tempting for the sit on top parasol concept?
Parts of it are. The "per the plans" FRED wing would be too heavy for the CE (sit on top parasol). But there's lots of potential "inspiration" to be gathered from his design. ...low AR, simple (almost cantilever) truss spar, folding wing mechanism, etc...

It's such a neat airplane, ...just not for guys our size :ermm:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Mr. Lecket widened his but it s still small. I got my set of plans because RS Hoover praised the money saving features of the design.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
With thanks to teacher Sally Pass and the kids of Newquay Tretherras in Cornwall (UK), here is the complete list of FRED drawings, both the main main plans set and the supplemental sheets, as of May 2017. If anyone has any other drawings not noted here in their FRED plans set, by all means please speak up. Cheers, Matthew

LIST OF DRAWINGS

1. General Arrangement
2. Wing Ribs
3. Fuselage Basic
4. Fuselage Detail
5. Top Decking and Details
6. Rudder
7. Tailplane and Elevators
8. Wing Assembly and Spars
9. Wing Root Fittings
10. Engine Mount and Cabane Fittings
11. Undercarriage
12. Stick Assembly
13. Aileron Controls, Fuselage
14. Aileron Controls. Wings
15. Rudder Controls
16. Elevator Controls, Front
17. Elevator Controls. Rear
18. Tailplane Fittings
19. Flying Wires and Fittings
20. Front Fairing and Panel
21. Fuel System
22. Tailskid and Pitot
23. Rigging and Balance
24. Road Fittings
25. Optional Extra Fuel
26. Wing and Undercarriage Fairings
27.Cabane Bracing
(Construction Notes in addition to Materials and Rigging Notes)

SUPPLEMENTAL SHEETS

FRED Series 2 Rigging for Flight (undated)
Fuel Tank (undated)
Engine Mount FRED Series 3 (November 1982)
Fixed Fin (July 1995)