• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Calling Ben Haas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ekimneirbo

A while back, a very knowledgeable fellow used to post on this site. Unlike a bunch of us wanna-bes, Ben had actually built an airplane and had a (great) working automotive conversion in it . Apparently some people don't think anyone other than an engineer is able to build a working aircraft conversion. It seems that many posts are filled with accusations and negativity.

My opinion on intelligence is that there are many different kinds of intelligence and not all of them are useful....or at least not used for any purpose other than to project ones own ego.

One of my favorite sayings is : Knowledge is of little use until experience has given it meaning.

I see lots of intelligent people on Jeopardy. They can remember the most insignificant facts or sometimes associate difficult things.......but then they struggle with a question that even I know the answer to. So, while they have one type of intelligence, they often fall into a catagory covered by my next saying;

If the world were populated by only engineers, civilization would surely vanish from the earth.......because everyone would know
everything.......but no one would know how to do anything.

Ben Haas is a unique individual who took his many talents and actually applied them. He is in my opinion a very unique and intelligent individual. The negatism on this and other sites often precludes new comers from participating and many old timers eventually get tired of something they can live without.

I hope in the future that many contributors will temper their replies with the thought that a wealth of knowledge disappears everytime you let your ego speak. Hopefully Ben will return to this site and
share his knowledge again.........

Note: There are some engineers in the world who are very capable with both theory and real world hands on application......I just chose them to be the whipping boy in my metaphor. Just remember that the absense of a document hanging on someones wall to declare how smart they are, doesn't mean that they don't have plenty of mental faculty to create and invent........while many of the people who do have that document haven't overly impressed some of us.

One of the most impressive people ever was Smokey Yunick,a guy who could do it all.
Smokey Yunick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Those are the kind of people who impress me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back