• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Buying an experimental from someone who is not listed as the current owner in FAA database ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcliffe01

Supporting Member
I have been investigating an experimental airplane that is listed on Barnstormers. Im aware that Barnstormers is not a very secure web page so fraud is always a possibility. So after talking to the seller and reviewing some pictures that he sent me (no pictures shown with the listing) I an the N number and found that the current owner per the FAA is a person in Louisiana. Through some google foo I tracked down the listed owners particulars including his phone number and called him. He confirmed that he sold the plane 2 years ago to person B, who is not the seller on Barnstormers. He said that he was aware that buyer B had sold the airplane to person C who was resident in California, which appears to match the information in the barnstormers listing.
So, those of you who have been through the registration process, do you see some complications in getting the paperwork in order on this sale ? There is presumably a bill of sale from A-B and then from B-C and now there would have to be another from C-D where I would be buyer D. Does this sound legit ? I know that one cannot do this with the secretary of state. If any owner tries to skip paying sales tax and registration then anyone after that point will be refused transfer of title.
Any advice in this situation ? I know that FAA processing times have become very long and I cant tell if the seller has even tried to get the registration in his own name.

Back