Buy two O-320 Engines, Get Free Apache Airframe

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Seabees are cool planes and they came with engines that get more rare every day.
The Seebee was also intensely engineered for high-volume production using a lot of relatively sophisticated tools and processes. Unfortunately we never got an airplane in every garage, and certainly not a seaplane in every berth. So the production numbers were far below expectation, and the per-unit costs well above.

PMD

There is also a conversion of Barrons to single engine turboprops. No clue why, but they did.
Just an observation but Barons are actually Bannana fuselages so pretty much easy to hang a front mount on, whereas the Pa23 was never adapted from a spam can.

TFF

The only thing I would do with a Barron is put a V tail Bonanza fuselage on the wing. V tail tri plane.

pfarber

You can make a copy of the airframe. It’s not instant gratification on such a complicated plane and airframes are cheap with the engines gone. Seabees are cool planes and they came with engines that get more rare every day. They tend to not survive because of engines. The V8 was a work around but was handled badly.
The conversion was a success, but the limitations of the airworthiness cert make it undesirable. After 20 years there are less than a dozen conversions complete, unknown how many are flying.

The issue will always be the interpretation on the limitations. A homebuilt experimental pretty much has the same privileges as a certified AC. All the other experimental categories have definite restrictions that would clearly be broken if they became 'a thing' ie had multiple dozens of copies. Granted, the FAA won't notice for a while, but at some point the bear will be poked and all those certs will go away.

Bill-Higdon

Could I shorten the wings three feet on each side? (actual idea I considered)
I remember seeing a Picture of Steve Whitman shortening the wings on his P-63 race plane it featured him & a "Partner in Crime" with an old 2 man cross cut saw. As I understand it the picture was posed as a gag