Quantcast

Building a Sailpane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

gerome

Good day everyone. I'm a newbie here. I'm a student, me and my batchmates are thinking of building a sailplane. I'm just wondering on how much money should we prepare if we're thinking of building a sailplane for 1 crew and mostly made of wood. I am still on the proposal page so I want to know the usual cost that we might need. thanks.

Birdman100

Hi Gerome! This question has thousand answers generally (I believe you can make wooden sailplane from 100$ to 100 000$, at least in my country), but hope you will get better answer if you post your question in "Wooden Construction" - Discussion Area of this Forum.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Good day everyone. I'm a newbie here. I'm a student, me and my batchmates are thinking of building a sailplane. I'm just wondering on how much money should we prepare if we're thinking of building a sailplane for 1 crew and mostly made of wood. I am still on the proposal page so I want to know the usual cost that we might need. thanks.
$3000 USD worth of aircraft grade materials can be turned into a sailplane with 3 axis controls if you are frugal. Much less if you just want an ultralight like the Goat. You can more than $50,000 USD if you want something with modern performance. This is assuming you buy well and do all your own labor.

gerome

Thanks for the answers. We already presented our proposals for the sailplane to our Chairpersons. We are now preparing to present it to our College President. Hope he will choose it.