• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Boxplane/boxwing basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart

Searching but not finding enough boxwing/boxplane information, I ask others knowledgeable to contribute their insights:

Boxwing per Hoerner, Kroo, et al has much better induced drag characteristics than monoplane of equivalent span. Presumably, due to mutually reinforcing upper and lower wings, each wing could be made lighter and thinner, reducing frontal area and weight vis a vis monoplane. A lighter wing means a lighter plane, so wing area could be presumably reduced further on that account.

Attachment to fuselage would presumably increase interference drag, as there would be 4 wing/fuse joints instead of two.

OTOH, wing weight in addition to being presumably lower than a monoplane, would also be further inboard, for better roll response and rate.

Can anybody please direct me to a good source of basic "rules of thumb" or similar, comparing merits/demerits of boxwing to monoplane?

Specifically, I'm hoping to be able to make some reasonable apples to oranges comparison, for a given amount of wing lift, weight, and drag, between a monoplane of, say, 20' span and 3' chord to a boxwing of X' span and Y' chord, assuming gap between upper and lower wings of ~ .2 span, per Kroo.

How much boxwing does it take to roughly equal a monoplane wing of 20' span and 3' chord?

Thoughts? Resources?

Back