Black Fury - Atomic_Sheep - Melbourne Australia

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Atomic_Sheep

I am apprehensive starting this thread because it's early days in terms of even forming the concept of what I want to create but I suppose this is part of the process. I'm not going to say much for now apart from stating what I'm trying to create.

Basically I'm interested in creating a 21st century DH88 from scratch. I won't go into more details than this until I have some more information, for now I plan to simply log my background research into designing the aircraft of my dreams.

A disclaimer: I don't have an engineering or aerospace background, so I am jumping into the deep end here and I'm not sure how successful I will be but I want to give it a go.

Atomic_Sheep

I'm not following a standard design process at this stage, just doing background research. At the moment I'm doing research on wing shapes.
As you can see from the attachment, the DH88 has a relatively high aspect ratio and a highly tapered wing with a rounded tip.
de-havilland-dh-88-comet.jpg
Such a wing I think was designed with one goal in mind - to reduce induced drag which is reduced by having wings with an elliptic lift distribution. However, having read over some information, it's becoming apparent that the benefits of such a wing shape aren't great as some web sources suggest i.e. a simpler trapezoidal tapered wing has almost identical induced drag to that of an ellipse one. Might need to find some scientific papers to back up that last quote. Having said that, I'm sure there is a lot more information that needs to be mentioned to come to a conclusion on as to what wing shape to select for my 21st century DH88. The only other piece of information that I will divulge at this time is the fact that I plan to make a solar powered electric plane so the wing will need to most likely be substantially larger in size than the original DH88. This last bit was inspired by the recent Solar Impulse airplane by Virgin. So what I meant by my statement of wanting to build a 21st century DH88 is basically an aeroplane that will require no fuel and be able to plug along at a reasonable pace. The sleek 88 serves as a good case study in terms of creating an aerodynamically efficient shape for the fastest possible cruise speed.

References and links for future reference (not the most scientific papers but only starting out):
Wing configuration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Elliptical wing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/Wing_Shapes.html
ASK DJ Aerotech Question

Atomic_Sheep

It seems my search for an efficient flyer has taken me from the DH88 to the Hortons. I'm now mesmerized by their flying machine and this is steering me in a completely different direction. Not a new idea but it's altering my perceptions of flight and my ideal aircraft.

The research continues.

Last edited by a moderator: