• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ATC changing from radar to GPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titanium Cranium

This morning while driving to work, I heard a short news clip on the radio which mentioned ATC was going to be making a change from radar based to GPS based tracking. I didn't get to listen to the entire thing so I didn't hear if this was a proposed plan or a new Administrative Regulation which will be put into effect in the near future. If this does take place, will that require all GA aircraft to buy new equipment to replace the transponders or something else to work with the existing transponders in so many aircraft? I'm a newb and still learning how things work and function with GA so this was the first thought that entered my so-called mind. What do all of you think about this change or proposed change?

Back