Quantcast

Artex ELT 345 GPS input?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

13brv3

HBA Supporter
The saga continues today. I have contacted Artex, Garmin and Aircraft Spruce for information and help. So far no good answers. My situation is complicated by the fact that I live and fly in Alaska and the Feds have all but regulated shipping lithium batteries to/from Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico out of existence. I can't even get small Nikon camera or laptop computer batteries shipped here other than surface.
Sorry to hear of the continued suffering. Short of buying an expensive panel mount, I don't know any way to make the Artex happy when it wants that Aviation protocol.

I believe a standalone GPS receiver that will output in 4800 baud NMEA should be fairly easy to find, and not very expensive, but that means you have to get your ELT reprogrammed. As for shipping, the battery is user replaceable, so perhaps you can remove the battery, and send the unit that way?

Good luck,
Rusty

13brv3

HBA Supporter
For anyone playing along. Artex received my ELT 3 weeks ago yesterday, and I still have no ETA for it's return...

13brv3

HBA Supporter
In about 5-1/2 weeks, I finally got the ELT back. It actually appears to be a new unit, manufacture date 52nd week of 2019. I'm not sure why they couldn't just reprogram the original unit, but I'll certainly take an extra 6 months battery due date. Hopefully there won't be any surprises when I connect and test it next week.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Final update. The reprogrammed/replaced unit Artex sent is passing it's selftest now using the output from my iFly 740b. I may go to a standalone GPS receiver at some point, but at least I have something that works. I'll try not to actually use it though :)