Any Ragwing Projects here?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John wadman

Log Member
The journey has begun. Good luck i hope you enjoy it. Mine is still progressing. Work has slowed down now that the weather is better but still getting in an hour here and there on it
Wingnut, which model are you building? I need some help with a just started RW19. If you're building an RW19-20, Plans show two very different flap/aileron profiles. which one did you use and why? One leaves big gaps and the other leaves huuge gaps between wing and flap/aileron.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
cdlwingnut isn't building a Stork....
Check his build log out to find out what model he's building.....his log is great and he is a wealth of information.

Also,check your PM...message sent to you John

Kevin

John wadman

Log Member
cdlwingnut isn't building a Stork....
Check his build log out to find out what model he's building.....his log is great and he is a wealth of information.

Also,check your PM...message sent to you John

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. I recall wingnut mentioning an ultrapiet I think.

John wadman

Log Member
While I’m waiting for Scott Casler to build my motor my oldest son and I decided to start on a STOL aircraft for him. I bought the Storch plans and started building the wing components. Started with the ribs. Here’s where I am so far after day three of part time work. The top photo shows the patterns to router cut the slot leading edge, regular leading edge, the aft end filler blocks for the ribs that hold the hinges for the flaps/ailerons and the gussets for the aft end of the regular ribs. The second photo shows the rib mold for two ribs at a time. Notice: they aren’t mirror images of each other. So I’ll have to remove half of the flap/aileron hinge ribs from the mold and flip them before gluing the filler block in so I have 4 right end and 4 left end ribs.

Attachments

John wadman

Log Member
Greetings all
I am building a 19, slowly... started on wings now, building stick ribs. I have the tail built
And am waiting a shipment of plywood and some more spruce to arrive in a few weeks so
so I can put some bigger parts together. Need to get something mocked up to be able to sit in
and make plane noises...
I
Would love to hear from anyone else building one!
Tom
Tom, how is your build going?

tlcasey100

No doubt, everyone must make their own decisions, but depending on the Rag Wing design chosen I wouldn't see a problem. By what I've seen of the plans, much of the design/structure in models I've seen is virtually identical to that of a MiniMAX. With the number of MiniMAXs that have been built and flown successfully I don't think their design would be questionable, so I'd feel comfortable with some transference of confidence. Maybe that's too optimistic? One other thing I'd mention about Rag Wing planes is that a fellow in our EAA chapter has built and flown two of them without incident, so that instills some confidence in the design too.

Just my thoughts....and worth the price charged.

Lynn
THE PRICE CHARGED IS NOW 25 BUCKAROOS FOR ANY PLANS! THE WING IS A CARBON COPY OF A MINIMAX EXCEPT FOR THE AILERONS! I HAVE A GOODUN!

Kajus

Has anyone here flew the RW19/20? I do really like that airplane, spent last few weeks gathering informations, plans, etc, but I can't really find anyone who has finished the project and is already flying it. I've made a decision not to start building until I get in touch with someone actually flying it (fallback option is CH701, don't like the look of it and sheet metal construction that much, but there are hundreds of them flying around).

Btw, I've started drawing the RW19 in CAD just to make sure I understand the plans correctly and everything fits. If anyone's interested, you can take a look here: Onshape

Bill-Higdon

Has anyone here flew the RW19/20? I do really like that airplane, spent last few weeks gathering informations, plans, etc, but I can't really find anyone who has finished the project and is already flying it. I've made a decision not to start building until I get in touch with someone actually flying it (fallback option is CH701, don't like the look of it and sheet metal construction that much, but there are hundreds of them flying around).

Btw, I've started drawing the RW19 in CAD just to make sure I understand the plans correctly and everything fits. If anyone's interested, you can take a look here: Onshape
Looked at one in Warrenton, OR 10- 15 years ago he had a 3 cylinder Suzuki on it later I heard the 3 cylinder didn't have the HP the airplane needed. Sadly haven't heard anything more.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
You do realize that only a handful of the RW19/RW20's have ever been completed & flown......right ?
And you do realize that you are going to be VERY hard pressed to find ANYONE with flight time in one....right ?
And you do realize that anyone you find that has built & flown one is going to provide you with pretty useless information because nobody built one per the designer specs.
The problem you are going to run into is that everyone thought they were smarter than Roger Mann and hung Subaru,VW,Radial,Lycoming,etc,engines on the front of their planes and they flew worse than an overloaded Cessna 150 on a hot day.
Jump on YouTube and type in Ragwing Stork...you will find Roger's original video with him doing 15'-20' take off & landings with the original prototype....and you will also find 3-4 more videos of guys that were smarter than Roger and them using up 1,000' to get the thing to wallow into the air at 70 mph.
They totally killed the performance by throwing that extra 200-300 lbs on their planes.
There is a guy local to me that has an RW20 with a C85 and full electrical .....his plane weighs over 850 lbs.
That's 353 lbs over Roger's prototype !!!
As much as I would like to go look at his plane,I have refrained because any info I can gather from his aircraft will be useless info towards my build.
Roger is still available to answer questions....locate him on Facebook and he will reply to you through email.
Other than Roger,myself and a few guys that I know who are building an RW19/RW20 ...you are not going to get much support through your build.
If you're not already a skilled builder with problem solving abilities...your best bet is probably going to be to look at another aircraft that has support available when the need arises.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member

Hate to tell you this....buuuuuuut.....
I believe that's the gentleman,Wayne Wilson,that had an engine out and broke the plane up in a field when the Radial engine quit.
He hurt his passenger pretty bad and I believe he suffered a broken back himself.
If it wasn't him....then it was the other Stork that is on YouTube....but I'm pretty sure it was him.

Kevin

Geraldc

I believe that's the gentleman,Wayne Wilson,that had an engine out and broke the plane up in a field when the Radial engine quit.
On page I linked to is says that Wayne Wilson sold it to Ivan Campbell .
I think it had a Subaru when sold and now has a Radial
No crash reports that I know of.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
There were 2 Storks that I get confused on....
One had a Radial and the other had a Subaru.
I'm not sure which one went down due to an engine failure but I will assure you that one of them got broken up and the occupants hurt pretty badly.....I saw the video of them being extracted from the plane.
I'll see if I can find the video clip again and I'll post it.

Kevin