Any Heli builders on HBA?

Discussion in 'Rotorcraft' started by Blue Chips, Dec 30, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 6, 2016 #81

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

I think I screwed up the pics again, will fix

2. May 6, 2016 #82

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

IMG_1047 (2).JPG

I hate this computer

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. May 6, 2016 #83

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

will wait for tech support/ wife

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. May 7, 2016 #84

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

5. May 7, 2016 #85

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Much better :)
    Those sure do look to be a fun machine.

6. May 7, 2016 #86

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

Hillberg
    Your correct on the auto, people want a safety net. I think they should get more training and flight time
    that's the best safety net. I'll get off my soap box now

chuck

7. May 11, 2016 #87

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

[video]https://youtu.be/KyNhef5v9QE[/video]

flight to the lake before the rain starts

8. Sep 26, 2016 #88

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

Ok I have the 40 hours + on my mosquito, now I need to put the entry in the log book and it a done deal. I was able to get a Balancer to use and
    have the tail rotor down to .04 ips the main rotor just does not have the ability to be adjusted like real helicopters so It's a work in progress the balance, lead lag and tracking in a hover
    but I have no way to track in flight so I play with it and see what happens

chuck

9. Oct 3, 2016 #89

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Mssr. Hillberg. Are you still fooling with helicopters? I noted in one interchange your discussion of the transmission mount in Reed Wests little pre-Baby Belle. I always thought that he had a good one there. I still wonder why Canadian Home didn't pick up some of the ideas of the builders. I got rid of the crazy dangerous spring system on the collective on my bird by simply adding two counter wt systems on the blade ala Bell 47. Canadian Home told me it wouldn't work. When they flew my ship at Oshkosh one year, the pilot came back, landed and raises the seat and sure enough there weren't any springs. BTW did you hear about the groove being cut in the main rotor shaft by the seal? The current Safari factory has added a sacrificial sleeve to stop that. But on inspection tear down I found a jagged 0.020 deep groove in my main rotor shaft. When I sold my bird I had some 235hrs TT. That included one crash and a re-build. I'm now flying the JT300 that Spurling built.
    Stu Fields

10. Nov 23, 2016 #90

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Yep still going at it, the cobra 1/2 scale has just gone threw a corrosion control program, and the wiring started the power plants are checked out and serviced / installed for good.
    the Home rotors crowd just don't get it and never will.

pix are the new hangar at Oxnard the last on was the storage space, It's nice to have room again

Attached Files:

stuart fields likes this.
  11. Nov 26, 2016 #91

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

Don
    great looking shop with lots of room and cool toys. In the mid 80s I was stationed in your area at Port Hueneme for about
    4 months taking a salvage diver class.

chuck

12. Nov 30, 2016 #92

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

What engine are you using? I'm now having my nose shoved into the T63-700 Allison. I would dearly love to find a book that had some explanation of what all the tubing and accessories are for.
    I've attached a shot of my shop. Not shown is the second lathe and it is hard to see the 16" Victor and the Bridgport mill the TIG, MiG, O/A nor the 5'x5' Cnc Plasma table. I wish that I was really competent with all of that. You can see the cabling coming down from the swash plate area that is the sensor set of a Dyna Vib balancer that also provides vibration spectrum. I'm learning to use it also. Flying was rusty so I'm limiting right now to hover and vibration testing. The ship has some 60hrs.
    2016-11-30 11.12.36.jpg

13. Nov 30, 2016 #93

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

I have two solar T-62 T32 in the two placer. As for the T-63 A700 an early Hughes or Bell manual will have the basics. An Allison/ Roles Royce installation manual is in order.
    The ICA for your machine has to have a manual for it as the FSDOs require the owner/builders to have the inspection criteria in manual form before issuing an Airworthiness certificate now days. or did you toy fall through the cracks? Haven't I seen that one before?:gig:

If you don't have experience with the 250 series engines be careful you have some limits that can cause problems beyond torque and temperature (transient limits in Ng &NR)

I hope you have the hard cards for ,FCU, governor, compressor bleed valve, compressor, defuser impeller, mini turbine-maxi turbine? the only on conditional item is the gearbox. (field & overhaul experience)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  14. Dec 1, 2016 #94

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

Stuart
    How do you like the rotorway ? I have been thinking about selling my single seater and getting a rotorway but I seem to change my mind
    about once a week. I hear about some of the problems they have but how many of the problems are induced by the guy with the wrench or is
    it the helicopter.

chuck

15. Dec 1, 2016 #95

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

After doing some research on small helicopters, think in terms of single seat EAB, and speaking with a man who owns an engine company. This company has many who use his engine in helicopters. But saying this they are not very reliable. They must be ran at full power the complete time the helicopter is in flight. Also when pulling the collective its very easy to go lean an burn up most two strokes. You really need a four stroke in one of these then the price goes way up. But if I flew one it would be a turbine powered unit for all the reasons I stated above.

16. Dec 1, 2016 #96

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

get rid of the piston power plant and you have a better helicopter.

Attached Files:

17. Dec 2, 2016 #97

chuck308

chuck308

chuck308

The mosquito XE I have with a Hirth 65 hp has been great. very little maintenance I've spent more time cleaning off the dead bugs, and have about 50 hours now.
    it's fly's very close to a 300c but it has a 2 stroke running at 6000 rpms and I fly it in areas that if the engine stops I have a place to land.
    I've just been thinking about getting a two seater

18. Dec 3, 2016 #98

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Chuck: Well after putting several hundred hours on my Baby Belle/Safari I find the Rotorway much harder to work on with all the f'glass fairings. Inspection of the tail rotor shaft and its bearings is much more difficult than on the Safari. Note no belts on the JT300 other than the cog belt at the engine. Also I'm having trouble getting enough head room for a helmet. I think that BJ was all legs and short from the butt to the top of his head. I had the same problem with the Helicycle. I haven't got any air time yet in my JT300. Mainly hovering for balancing and tracking (I changed the wooden tips of the blades to aluminum and modified the control link slightly to enable more rod end travel) I have flown it thru translation a couple of times and found with the Allison engine it gets thru translation faster than anything I've flown before. I have to be just a bit more gentle with the cyclic. Performing a good pre-flight needs a bunch of fairing removed. I will say the controls in my bird are different than stock Rotorway. Laterally the cyclic requires ½ the travel to achieve the same swash plate motion as fore and aft. Spurling did this to require less cyclic travel and leg interference when doing slope landings. I didn't even notice it when I was first hovering. Only discovered it doing an inspection. The control "Sweet Spot" seems much smaller on the Rotorway than it was on the Safari. Placing the cyclic just a small amount forward of the "Sweet Spot" when the rotor is at flight speed gets a bit of vibration I'm not used to. I will be measuring the vibration frequency spectrum on the next operation. This is my first experience with a gas turbine engine; other than some running time on the Solar T62 at the Helicycle factory. I sure like the lack of the clutch that was required with the Solar also the lower fuel consumption provided by the Allison.

Stuart Fields sfkf@iwvisp.com

19. Dec 3, 2016 #99

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Dan: I have maintenance manuals but they all seem to show one side of the engine and give names to parts but don't relate that to the functions. To date, internet research has not produced any manual that describes even the most basic functions performed by the pieces seen in the pictures. I will look for an early Bell manual. No I didn't make it thru the cracks. I made the mistake of wanting to change the N# which exposed me to the FAA requirement for a maintenance inspection criteria. Spurling had got one approved for the initial engine installation which was a Solar T62 but I had to go thru several months of back and forth with getting inspection criteria for the T63 A700 engine. Which BTW is much simpler than the equivalent for the Allison C18. No I do not have "Hard Cards" for anything on the engine. When I bought the bird it wasn't running and I had to replace the engine driven fuel pump and the FCU. This was done thru a purchase from a company in NJ. who I understand has a warehouse full of these engines and parts.
    Would those "Limits" that you refer to be found in the POH for the OH58A? I'm going at this slowly trying to understand the idiosyncrasies of the engine.
    Thanks for the words.
    Stu Fields sfkf@iwvisp.com

20. Dec 3, 2016 #100

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

the C-700 is the military designation for the civil C-18 , Different air lines and double check valves and accumulators on the fire shield (OH 58 vs OH6), the bleed valve & compressor case smaller air bleed path , you need the hard cards as the life limits & serial numbers on the rotating components -

the compressor has a 300 hr. inspection / cleaning checking for liner erosion and blade root condition.

the transient limits apply to a serialized set of turbine wheels both on the gas producer and power turbine (that's why the hard cards are a must) a mid range wheel vibration that damages the blades. Some had Ng limits others had Nr limits and few had both....Allison / Roles Royce the FAA web site on ADs listings will have them.

the Solar has a fuel burn of 13 gph with or with out load... the T63 has 22 gph... How far is it 'dialed' down??? Is it running on the flight idle circuit with no governor installed?

Pictures can help...Sperlings machine:roll: how many did he get out the door?

Walt & Dave had 98+ last I heard... that's the blue beast in my pictures

Attached Files: