Aluminum Plate Engineering/Forming Question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mad MAC

Gear on bush planes is normally ripped off from hitting stumps and snow berms. I repaired a Citabria that hit a snow berm on skis. It's much more difficult to repair the fuselage (especially in the bush) than replace a bent gear.
So making the gear stronger than the fuselage might not be optimal. (as winginit said)
One reliable approach can be to ensure the gear attachment bolts shear off, leaving one with an intact landing gear and fuse (in the aft direction not vertical). Works best with low wings. The local Ag aircraft have this feature and not leave the occasional leg on a hillside, with a legless landing resulting in only an aileron change.

Last edited:

cheapracer

Log Member
You can't count mine, I was obviously joking.
Just hope he bends it the right way and the legs point to the ground and not up.

VB, Morgans use a 'composite' landing gear, nothing more than vinyl-ester fiberglass, 4" wide, and 1" thick and tapers a bit near the wheels. 50+ of them out there and I know not of any issues.

I got one at the factory, if you need exact measure and what matting used, pictures etc, let me know. A mold would be quite easy to make.

https://www.recreationalflying.com/forums/topic/13034-sierra-100-kit-build-underway/page/5/

.. oh and I thing Grove sell them also.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Morgans use a 'composite' landing gear, nothing more than vinyl-ester fiberglass, 4" wide, and 1" thick and tapers a bit near the wheels. 50+ of them out there and I know not of any issues.
Fixed gear Glasairs have been using gear legs made of uni glass wrapped in 2 layers of Bi and bound in VE resin for over 40 years.

BJC

cheapracer

Log Member
Then they must be less expensive?
I was hinting at making it yourself, which would be substantially cheaper for materials, and need to make up a mold from boxing wood, or some steel channel etc.

This is "Homebuilt" forum after all.

JohnB

HBA Supporter
Just ran into this thread and understand it is very old. I was planning on making glass gear for the 701 (still might) and employed a qualified composite aero engineer to crunch the numbers for me. Gear is same shape as plans and will fit in existing mounts. Constructed of S-glas roving and quality epoxy that was wound in tension on rotating mold (already built). Post heat treatment part of the process

Rockydog2 was to be the test mule but he got tired of waiting and went another direction. I could be persuaded to finish the project.

JohnB