• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

All aluminum tube Aerobatic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthafrotc

Good evening everyone. I have a plan in the design process to build a personal design. It will be a light sport type experimental. The plan is to build the entire structure out of aluminum tube. I apologize for no drawing at the moment but it resembles something like a 70% scale super decathlon. My intent is to be aerobatic within reason. The structure of the fuselage would be all tig welded aluminum tube with trussing as standard to a steel fuse. The tube would be 1.5in 6061 al tube for the 4 main stringers as well as the trussing and other supports.

My question open to discussion and spear chucking is..... what are your thoughts on strength compared to steel in the aeobatic category?

Also.... with the semi-moncouque idea in mind. What do you think of the same structure fully sheeted and riveted to the frame?

I welcome all educated responses and experiences.

Back