• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airspeed Indicator Differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusterpilot

I fly a tandem open cockpit experimental. It only had one airspeed indicator (ASI) located in the rear cockpit when I bought it. I teed a second line off of the tubing and routed it to a second airspeed indicator I installed in the front cockpit. After installation, the rear ASI continued to indicate properly, but the front ASI indicated about 10 mph faster. The second ASI came from a wreck that had been in storage for about 10 years so I respected the indicator was bad. I replaced it with a factory new, certified ASI, but now the new front ASI indicates 25 mph faster than the one in the rear. It indicates about 25 during a slow taxi on the ground and I've verified that the rear ASI is accurate by flying alongside another aircraft and comparing airspeed. If I had a leak in the tubing, I would expect the ASI to give a low reading, not a high one. Suggestions? How do I fix this?

Back