Quantcast

Air racing...could it become a bigger sport ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
PayPal treated me like crap when I was a credit card processing customer of theirs. They sleaze-bagged me in a way that really pi$$ed me off and made me look like a liar in front of my customers. So if he's the richest man on the planet, that's just great. But his company, using his approach to business, did me wrong - so he does not have my respect. I'm sure he can still manage to sleep at night despite this.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
PayPal is not his company, and has not been for a long, long time. He got properly wealthy by selling PayPal.
FWIW, it is a company I am forced to work with and also detest.

canardlover

There is underway the development of a new ,more affordable, jet racing class to be incorporated in the Reno Air Races. Possibly an exhibition race this year and official racing next year. Presently a design of mine below the Voodoo, and the Subsonex will likely be represented this year. The engine of choice currenbtly is the PBS TJ100 , though there are a couple of additional engines produced in Europe that may be suitable. We were requested by the Reno Airboss to display the aircraft at the 2019 races and garnered alot of interest. At that time the fuselage was the real deal, however wings and canard were mocked up, we are now getting close to test flying the first half of this year. Small airplanes, close in, racy designs ( maybe not the Subsonex ;-) ), and jet sounds may generate some new interest. They are small enough to be trailered, container shipped around the globe for international venues, etc. Time will tell but it should be a fun class to seer grow, hopefully.

Attachments

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
PayPal treated me like crap when I was a credit card processing customer of theirs. They sleaze-bagged me in a way that really pi$$ed me off and made me look like a liar in front of my customers. So if he's the richest man on the planet, that's just great. But his company, using his approach to business, did me wrong - so he does not have my respect. I'm sure he can still manage to sleep at night despite this.
Paypal was never his company, his company was X.com which meged with Confinity, who, at the time had a service called Paypal. He was named CEO of the new company in April of 2000, but was ousted in October. The company renamed itself Paypal in 2001, and sold to eBay in 2002. He made money from Paypal because of the stock he got from the merger with Confinity, not from running Paypal. If your issue happened during those 7 months, it's possible but unlikely it was due to his decisions or even got to his level.

As for potential interest for air racing, the guy does have an L-39, started a company that build things that fly at 24,000+ mph, started a car company that which has a version of every model (including an SUV) able to do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds or less, and just for kicks, decided to sell a flame thrower for the launch of the Boring Company. He has money, likes flying, likes going fast, has more than a casual interest in aeronautics, and is willing to sell dangerous products. I'm not sure what potential demographic for interest he doesn't hit.