About the Monster

Discussion in 'Tests and Improvements' started by flyrite, Jun 7, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #1

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

2. Jun 7, 2019 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Wow! What inspired you to make all those mods?

BJC

3. Jun 7, 2019 #3

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Wanted a good backcountry capable mount that didn’t break the bank. Also, With the kind of flying I do with it I knew there is the possibility of bending or breaking something.
    My mind is... I never understood the people who buy a $70,000.00 4 wheel drive and then find the first mud hole to sink it in. Similarly, I couldn’t see doing something similar with a plane.
    Plus, I love experimenting and trying to build a simpler mousetrap.

Pops, bmcj and BJC like this.
  4. Jun 7, 2019 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

Nice!

If you are in Lyons, that must be the Altamaha. I grew up on Lake Sinclair / the Oconee River that feeds the Altamaha.

BJC

5. Jun 7, 2019 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Yea but do you still roll it?

6. Jun 7, 2019 #6

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Yea, it’s the Altamaha

7. Jun 7, 2019 #7

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Have flown and landed the Ocone all the way to the lake. Was a BLAST!

BJC likes this.
  8. Jun 7, 2019 #8

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Hey Flyrite, greetings from the other end of the country! I think you're very creative and cleever with that airplane, congratulations. Taking an airplane like a Woody Pusher and making it into a STOL-capable backwoods adventure machine is really interesting, and I'm very impressed with the modifications you've made.

I would love to hear more about each of the modifications, the spit flaps, the belly flap, etc. I'm assuming the belly flap is mostly for drag... do you ever have problems with it catching on bushes and shrubs? Were the split flaps an add-on to the existing un-flapped wiing after it was built, or did you decide to build it with split flaps from the start?

That 9 minute river run is awesome, I could see the smile on your face even from behind your head!

9. Jun 7, 2019 #9

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Victor, Thanks for your interest and the complements. Have owned this little airplane for almost 25 years. Have tore it up twice trying to make it do things it was not capable of in the back country. Finally decided to do what I could to make it more capable. Have enjoyed experimenting with it and seeing what works and what doesn’t .Below is kind of the chronology of the different modifications.

The first mod trying to help it to get off the ground faster, was the bellyflap that is on it. That is a Stinson aileron that had been tore up off of one of my buddies airplanes that I rebuilt. Creates tremendous drag When fully deployed, as well as some Lift and the first 2 settings as it flies the front to be plane up.
    Also I have a set of Stinson flaps that are 4 foot long each that were mounted originally to the leading edge lift struts. Did all of the load analysis to make sure they were capable of carrying the loads. They work fair but really did not provide any lift, but did Provide tremendous drag. In some of the original videos on my channel you will see it equipped with those. I then decided to try a set of split flaps that were only 4 foot long on each side. They worked great , after that I doubled their size to 8 foot each and increased their cord to 12 inches. They are slaved to the bellyflap by cables, and the bellyflap is actuated by a push pull tube that connects to a 3 position piper flap handel that is in the cockpit on the floor.
    I have a friend who built a zenith 701, who tore it up and I got his Slats and modded them to mount on my leading edge. Having now got the wing and the plane to fly as slow as I could, I decided I needed more wing area, so I built 2 foot carbon fiber extensions with the end plates plates integrated. That mod slowed my roll rate to a point I didn’t like so I built spoiler boards in the top of those that are 22” inches long and slaved those to the ailerons.
    Ailerons have spades that are adjustable depending on my likes. Naturally, I have VG’s aft of the slats as well as on the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer.
    9” landing gear extensions, as well as double puck brakes with 29 inch a ABW’s.
    Engine is a pumped C-90 with 10/1 piston’s Port And polished cylinders with the hot cam. Been told it should be producing 120 HP although I doubt it.
    Also, on the belly flap hitting the weeds even fully deployed it still has about 12 inches clearance due to the gear extensions, but, it still gets drug through occasionally.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    BJC and Pops like this.
  10. Jun 7, 2019 #10

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Does that belly flap deflect rocks away from the prop? Or is the pusher prop high enough away from the rocks?
    I picked up a rock into the prop on the first taxi of my pusher design.

11. Jun 7, 2019 #11

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Berson , The bellyflap does nothing to protect the prop as it on the bottom and to the side of the wheels. Surprisingly most of what comes off of the wheels goes past the prop due to the wheel base being outside of the prop diameter by a few inches. I still get things that go through the prop such as mud whenever I land on a mud bar that has caused problems, not with the prop due to it having protective leading edges, but the prop slings the mud onto the fuselage fabric and it breaches the paint. Have considered mounting Mudflaps behind the wheels, but it is so rarely a problem that it really is not worth the weight they would add.

Dillpickle likes this.
  12. Jun 8, 2019 #12

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

What’s the design Berson?

13. Jun 8, 2019 #13

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I designed and built a light one seat motorglider in 1980. It had twin engines mounted on the wing trailing edge close to the fuselage. It was underpowered and overweight :rolleyes:. So the design was eventually abandoned.

flyrite likes this.
  14. Jun 8, 2019 #14

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I'd love to see a picture of your design BB, I really like the twin engine trailing edge configuration you mentioned. How did you get a rock into the propeller with a centerline wheel? Or did you put a "normal" landing gear on it?

flyrite likes this.
  15. Jun 8, 2019 #15

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Yes! Pictures!

I love your plane Flyrite! Especially the canopy. Great mods!

flyrite likes this.
  16. Jun 8, 2019 #16

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I had two main wheels under the cockpit about 16” apart and a nosewheel.
    Rocks can get squeezed and shot out any direction even forward. Was taxiing on asphalt with some loose gravel.
    Twin Tehcumseh 10hp stock engines. T-tail (above photo not in frame)
    All metal.

Attached Files:

mcrae0104 and flyrite like this.
  17. Jun 9, 2019 #17

flyrite

flyrite

flyrite

Super Cool...Understand it was heavy but, How did it fly?

18. Jun 9, 2019 #18

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

The glide was nice. But powered flight was like being in a tin can megaphone.
    It was tail heavy and could barely climb. I determined one engine with two cylinders is superior to two engines of one cylinder each. The twin engines throb and vibrate at random unpleasant modes.

flyrite likes this.
  19. Jun 9, 2019 #19

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

I forwarded a link on this conversation to Harris Woods son

flyrite and Pops like this.