A really (too?) small & light micro-bipe STOL project (hybrid maybe)

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by Xanadrone, May 26, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 26, 2017 #1

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

Just a few words for now: I tried to imagine an even smaller Cri-Cri, in biplane form (Mitja would say... topspeedish-small at just 9 ft. 6 in. long), but also less complex, expensive and time-consuming to build.

...Woud it fly though, despite its span of 16 ft.? And how good? - This would be the major point of debate, being a real theoretical nightmare at a first glance (prone position of the pilot, sesquiplane, inverted V-tail... or sort of, electric and/or IC-propulsion etc. etc.)

P.S: The pilot in the scale-image is... sort of me also, being 30 years younger and - more important - 30 lbs lighter :gig: than the actual Me.

DSCF1353.jpg

pictsidhe and cluttonfred like this.
  2. May 26, 2017 #2

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

It's a neat concept, but you are right that it's a lot more complex than it needs to be. At first glance I'd say the wingtip "feathers" are unnecessary and the "reverse tricycle" landing gear would be very short-coupled and twitchy on the ground. You might want to check out the Hovey Whing Ding, not as an actual project tackle since it has a reputation as a fairly complex build despite the size, but for some idea that are proven to work. A simpler design inspired by the Hovey Wing ding with a modern paramotor engine and your twin tails might work well.

hovey-wing-ding.jpg

Xanadrone likes this.
  3. May 26, 2017 #3

vtul

vtul

vtul

Wonderful drawing!

Xanadrone likes this.
  4. May 27, 2017 #4

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Hi Axandrone, I'd like to see top and front on views, if you have them. BTW, do you really have a hook hand, if so, how do you have permission to fly?

Xanadrone likes this.
  5. May 29, 2017 #5

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

First of all thanks for your input! I was initially tempted to post this idea in the Motorcycle Of The Air thread, or Flying With 14 HP (only in level flight though), or, or..., but I thought finally that it deserved a separate topic, because it includes some new and combined solutions serving the main interest of it - and the point of start for me: to maximize the... minimalising simplicity and affordability of the flight for a single guy (it can be married also, but some would say not.) :grin:
    More seriously speaking, this micro-bipe is intended to be a ludic (and cheap to build) object and not an utilitarian flying device - baptizable as an air-toy methinks, so I am waiting also for some possible name proposals from you, my already imaginated names being a bit too laughable for now - thats why I do not mention them.

Anyway, until refining the other 2 views of my micro-bipe Ride-And-Glide project (it might take a couple of weeks), it is necessary to clarify some basic details to correct a few explainable confusions:

- The landing gear would be a classic tail-dragger and not inverted, with two fully shock-absorbed 25 cm (10 inches) main wheels fixed on the lower wing (1 foot 4 inches chord, 10 feet span); just the little bit advanced position of the lamellar spring suspended tailwheel is somehow peculiar, because...
    - ...the ampenage IS an inverted V-tail, but a non-classic one whilst supported by two small oblique pseudo-stabilizers - a more draggy solution for sure, but the only feasible keeping in mind the... 2D fuselage (with a saddle - do not forget the prone position) and its original (I guess) and very simple command by feet, without any mixer.
    - Those strakes of the upper wing (2 feet chord, 16 feet span) seem to be a good solution for STOL-style flight, since a number of old and not so well-known studies claim to reduce the L/D at high AoAs and also increase the stall limit; claims that I’ve got to verify on a 1/2 scale model though - yes, 1/2 whilst the real airplane would be tiny enough to allow such a good scale-ability.

Oh, and that hook of the scale-pilot in the drawing is just a graphic joke ...with the secondary purpose of a readers’ attention check - congrats for discoverig it!

Many other details must be revealed anyway (including the type of materials intended to be used - it would be mainly wood/ply for the sake of affordability - some better suggestions?), so I will deliver them to you in some other not-too-long-to-be-boring posts.

6. May 30, 2017 #6

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

A simple (and just preliminary) napkin-sketch would be more clarifying than words about its inverted V-tail and landing gear:
    DSCF1374.jpg

A few other details: this hybrid version with permanent IC-engines propulsion and e-motors used only for climb / take off is only one of three possible variants, that could be also:
    - either pure electric -- maybe with a more glider-style span and A/R, lets say 19-20 ft for the 2 ft chord
    - or only IC-motorized; this one could be lighter without the batteries and with greater... but riskier autonomy, implying also another position of the wings (further backwards). The STOL-favorising effect of the four small e-motors placed ahead the upper wing would dissapear too.
    A Screamer Veloce ;) 50 HP two-stroker could be tempting though.

The hybrid and/or electric versions have the implicit advantage of an advanced CG/CP by positioning the relatively heavy batteries upfront, thus resulting a not so short-coupled geometry for such a tiny air-toy.
    Second advantage: the possibility to optimise the permanent functioning IC-propellers for cruise (level flight) and those folding e-props for climb (lower pitch.)

Please correct me if I am wrong - even like a friend of mine (he IS funny, albeit being an aerospace engineer) that asked me if I did not choose these micro-dimensions by lacking A3-format millimetric paper. :gig: