• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A question for the A&P's out there....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterinthefuel

I was wondering if changing an airplane's battery is legal for someone who is not the owner of the airplane and not an A&P. One of the owners of the hangar I manage has a jet there and I saw his copilot, who isn't the owner or the PIC of the plane show up one day to change the battery and began to do just that. The last time I checked, a corporate jet flying part 135 must be maintained in accordance with the proper maintenance procedures, which do not allow the pilot to do minor things like change oil or maybe a tire, but a battery on a Citation II? What do you guys think? I told the pilot I would supervise the changing of the battery and inspect it myself and allow him to electronically sign his logbook using my name and A&P number which he did. I just want to know for future knowledge.

The FAR I am referencing:

(g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

Part 61's list of pilots licenses are all of them:

(1) Pilot certificates—
(i) Student pilot.
(ii) Sport pilot.
(iii) Recreational pilot.
(iv) Private pilot.
(v) Commercial pilot.
(vi) Airline transport pilot.
(2) Flight instructor certificates.
(3) Ground instructor certificates.

So even the owner of this plane can't change the oil in it if it's maintained IAW FAR part 135 right?

Edit: I just got a text from him, he is operating part 91. I'm not sure if changing a battery is considered preventive maintenance or not. I'll have to see.

Second edit: It appears that it is. FAR part 43. Appendix A (4) (c) 24-Replacing and servicing batteries.

Last edited:
Back