Quantcast

A&P from Tennessee. Dreaming on an scratch built LSA build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

120mm

I'm an A&P living in Tennessee, but went to the dark side years ago as a military contractor. Interested in getting back into Civil aviation and learning to fly. Want to scratch build an LSA qualified experimental.

120mm

Welcome, 120. Are you ready to start a project soon?

BJC
I'm not in a sweat about it.

I work 4 months on/off, and will be home in a couple weeks and will start seriously planning then

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Have fun, its not a little project no matter how little the airplane.
Can you give us a hint for what you are thinking about . One place, two place , high wing, low wing, type of construction, etc .

120mm

Have fun, its not a little project no matter how little the airplane.
Can you give us a hint for what you are thinking about . One place, two place , high wing, low wing, type of construction, etc .
Welp, it's gotta be two place, but I'm torn between something like a stretched Vagabond and a small biplane. Might end up doing both in the end.

I'm familiar with the amount of work involved in building an airplane, having done it for a living before

120mm

Just wondering idly, I think it would be a hoot to put a Verner radial on a stretched Vagabond. I am aware of one Clipper that did that, but none other. I think it would be unique and kind of good looking

Riggerrob

Dear 120mm,
A couple of friends built a sort-of Piper Super Cruiser powered by a 145 hp, Warner Scarab radial engine. They started with plans from Wag-Aero. It looked like a DHC Beaver that shrank in the wash!
Hah!
Hah!
They said that it flew great, but they did not trust an engine older than them so replaced the radial with a flat-four engine made by Continental or Lycoming.
One partner later bought a Max Holste Brossard, while the other flew his plans-built Piper Cub until he retired.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing to consider, it's very likely that the LSA limits will be expanded in a couple of years, so aircraft that are too heavy or too fast will be LSA when the rules change takes effect... but of course nothing is certain...

120mm

One thing to consider, it's very likely that the LSA limits will be expanded in a couple of years, so aircraft that are too heavy or too fast will be LSA when the rules change takes effect... but of course nothing is certain...
I'm not worried, either way. I'd like something low and slow. Anyway, Mr Piper s designs are pretty adaptable when gross is concerned.

As far as how it would look with a radial, here's the clipper I'm aware of. I don't like the cowl, but I think a radial on this looks cool. I'm thinking maybe cowling the boot cowl tightly and adding a speed ring.

1602987241370.png

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Here’s a thought...what about a Corben Junior Ace, which traces its roots back to the 1930s and has sported both radial engines and enclosed or convertible cockpits over the years? The Corben or Pober plans would give a solid foundation with just the cabin and radial engine installation as interesting challenges.

9725342E-1021-433A-9940-82F5EC4B5953.png

120mm

That's an interesting question, and is surprisingly close to the kind of look I'm thinking about.

But it makes a lot more sense to me to start with the Vagabond airframe. It's simple, strong and I already own the plans

120mm

Also a sucker for outrigger gear. Always had a soft spot for the Travel Air 6000